Will Ansbacher's Reviews > Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne

bookshelves: classics, kids, random-long-ago
Read 3 times. Last read July 1, 2016.

Oh, bother! I’ve started this Review and now I don’t know how to continue. I had a Very Good Idea for one and then it sort of just Flew Away.
(“What’s a Revue? asked Piglet, "can they really fly?”
“Well, they can,” said Bear, “it Depends. Sometimes they just Plod, if you know what I mean. You have to say something of Very Great Importance, so that it will be Liked.”
“Pooh," said Piglet helpfully, "if you wrote it I would like it anyway.”)

But maybe there isn’t anything new I can say that hasn’t been said already. For the Bear of Very Little Brain (AA Milne’s, not the vomitoriously cute Disney Pooh) is a wonderful and timeless creation. Who could not love such a dim but loyal friend? Who could not fail to identify in some way with at least one of Pooh’s own meek, credulous, testy, pompous or depressed (you know who I mean!) friends?
Well, one grand-daughter didn’t take to him at all, but the other would have listened to both this and The House at Pooh Corner at one sitting if she had been able to - there’s no accounting for taste. I remember reading these at maybe 8 or so, and being full of sadness when I at last finished the second book, because I had never wanted that world to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winnie-the-Pooh.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading
July 1, 2016 – Started Reading
July 1, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 25, 2016 – Shelved
July 25, 2016 – Shelved as: classics
July 25, 2016 – Shelved as: kids
July 25, 2016 – Shelved as: random-long-ago

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Best Eggs I read When We Were Very Young regularly. The poems take me back to that time. My excuse for reading them aloud is I am trying to sell the book.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I have no excuse for reading aloud, but I occasionally find myself trying (and failing) to do a posh British accent.

Will Ansbacher I did like your review, a while ago, Petra.
... Just wondering - when reading the poems, do you chomp on your cigar and talk out of the side of your mouth like a pirate?

Best Eggs Absolutely! I put on my three-cornered hat and as I reee-cite, I chomp munch and spit.

message 5: by Cecily (new)

Cecily Awww. What a delightful review.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Lovely review, Will. It brought a smile to my face. Thank you!

Will Ansbacher thanks, Cecily and Anne. There are some books that just never seem to become dated, do they?

Murf the Surf I've always been a big fan of Pooh Bear and the gang. Tigger is a bit neurotic if you ask me though. aha ha ha Nice review too.