Isha Sanghvi's Reviews > Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

U 50x66

"The world makes much less sense than you think. The coherence comes mostly from the way your mind works" (Daniel Kahneman). In Thinking Fast and Slow, Nobel prize winning economist Daniel Kahneman doesn’t attempt to understand the world we live in but instead uncover something even more fascinating – our own perception of the world and the biases that are created by our unconscious mind. The novel touches upon and is split up into five main parts of the systems, heuristics, overconfidence, choices and our two selves. He theorizes an interesting idea about our way of thinking: we use our “System 1” when coming up immediate answers or actions that are second nature to us such as reading, daily routines, and basic movement. On the other hand, “System 2” is very careful and engages in deliberate thinking making it extremely slow and lazy. While System 1 is prone to heuristic or implicit biases, System 2 is able to overcome this. Kahneman offers insight on to not only the way these two ways of thinking (hence the book title) but also how biases can drastically change our perception of the world.It would be awesome if you could check out my other book reviews at my website: ishasanghvi.com.
Thinking Fast and Slow was a pleasure to read. While it takes quite some time to finish because of the lengthiness, it is very worth it. One thing that I was worried about coming into this book was if I would be able to understand his writing and his analysis of human decision making. However, the author provided a multitude of examples all of which are very applicable to the everyday life. Being an avid debater, I was really excited when I got to the part of the biases because that’s perfect refutation material right there. All in all, Daniel Kahneman not only crafts a great explanation of our way of thinking, equipped with examples and stories that not only change your perception of the world but give you greater insight into who you are and the slow/fast thinking that got you to this point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking, Fast and Slow.

Finished Reading