QNPoohBear's Reviews > Better Late Than Never

Better Late Than Never by Jenn McKinlay

bookshelves: clean-romance, cozy-mystery, kisses-only

When Briar Creek Public Library holds it's first ever Amnesty day, forgiving fines, Lindsey and her staff are surprised to see a book returned after 20 years. When Ms. Cole checks to see who checked the book out, she reacts strangely. The book was checked out to Candice Whitley, a high school English teacher who was murdered the very day she checked out the book. Lindsey, being a "buttinski" is determined to figure out the connection between the book and the killer. If the book was returned now, does that mean the killer is still among them? Meanwhile, Lindsey's relationship with Sully is heating up, but she's afraid to tell him how she really feels in case he cuts and runs. Robbie would be happy with that but Lindsey knows her feelings for Sully are true.

This is a great entry in the series. I loved the library geekery because I went to library school (though I still had no idea what they were talking about) but I don't think that would appeal to the average reader. The story has a couple of twists-one I figured out and one I didn't. The one I didn't was so shocking and horrible. The romance is sizzling in this one, while still being clean. (Characters are in bed together sleeping). There are a couple of secondary romances developing, one a potential same sex relationship. It's so cute and nerdy and sweet! The other I saw coming and I'm interested to see if/how it plays out.

Lindsey is still an annoying nosey parker. She loves her library but she doesn't spend much time there! She's too busy investigating and of course she just happens to stumble upon the clues. It bothered me that she waltzed into a high school without signing in at the office and then wandered around to snoop. It also bothered me that she was eager to look at boxes of school archives, apparently not giving a care about student privacy. If it was in the newspaper or yearbook, she can find that elsewhere. It took her forever to figure out the surprise I figured out as soon as the revealing clue was dropped. I was also really bothered by her attitude towards Sully's macho behavior. She's not my favorite of McKinlay's sleuths but I find it funny Lindsey is a fan of a series of books about cupcake bakers in Scottsdale, Az. who solve murders! (Mel is my favorite McKinlay sleuth so Lindsey has good taste in books).

I was not a fan of Sully in this book. I was rooting for him but he decided to go all macho caveman on Lindsey and I hate that. Of course he's just sooo sexy Lindsey doesn't mind and she turns Austen heroine swoony. Austen's heroines would never let a man speak to them as Sully speaks to Lindsey (except maybe Fanny Price, who would love it). Sorry Sully but possessive, macho, manly behavior is a deal breaker with me. Neither do I like the charming Robbie. He's insincere and always joking. Lindsey thinks his emotions are transparent but I don't see him that way.

We have some new characters here. Beth takes a back seat to newcomer Paula. She was introduced in An Unlikely Meeting (Book 6.5 at the end of book 6). She's unconventional for a librarian but librarians come in all types these days. Paula is an animal lover, which is awesome! A librarian and animal lover, she gets my vote for best new character. She seems like a good fit for the library and a potentially good friend for Lindsey. There's also Hannah, a high school librarian. She, too, is unconventional but I bet high school kids would love her. She seems dedicated to helping high school kids and literacy. I liked her a lot. Newcomer to town, Brian Kelly, a hipster and sci-fi/dystopian book lover. He's a little awkward and hard to get to know for the little bit he's in the story. I wondered if he had feelings for Lindsey- I'll let you read the book to find out. Then there is Judy, the best friend of the murder victim. She left town years ago and has returned to care for an ill relative. She seems distraught at the idea of reopening the investigation but is she sincere? I thought she was but maybe she wasn't. She's a little cold, obviously, not knowing Lindsey well.

I've never read The Catcher in the Rye but I might have to after this book. I look forward to seeing what Lindsey and the Crafternoons cook and read next. I want to make Hannah's chai tea!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Better Late Than Never.

July 24, 2016 – Shelved
July 24, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 13, 2017 – Started Reading
January 13, 2017 – Shelved as: clean-romance
January 13, 2017 – Shelved as: cozy-mystery
January 13, 2017 – Shelved as: kisses-only
January 13, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
January 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Amnesty Day! Cute idea, but I could see people waiting all year long to "pay" cubes for free..... :-)

message 2: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Fees! Not cubes!

QNPoohBear No, it was just to return overdue books on that one day. It wasn't a wipe the fines day. Ms. Cole would have had a heart attack if they did that!

message 4: by Marlene (new)

Marlene HAHA! That makes more sense. :-)