Rikki's Reviews > Aced

Aced by Ella Frank

liked it
bookshelves: glbt, fiction, romance

Had I know beforehand that this story had a cliffhanger I probably would not have bothered, but as it was, I didn't mind. It is obvious what is going to come, so I am quite curious to see how everything is going to play out.

There were quite a few things I didn't like about the story and the characters, but as a whole it was an enjoyable read with good MCs and, for once, no misunderstandings or miscommunication. Instead we had insta-attraction without any misgivings whatsoever.

The things that bothered me:

The insta-love was based solely on looks and sex appeal (as so often) and stayed that way seemingly all through to the end. Those guys didn't have many conversations other than about sex, their fantasies and whenever they talked about anything else (which was rare enough) they couldn't help but throw in sex related puns. Do it once, if you must, but after that it gets boring.

Ace drives a Lamborghini. How stereotypical and unimaginative! I would think that being a movie star followed by paparazzi 24/7 would make you choose a slightly less conspicuous car, but what do I know? The scenes in the desert (both, the driving and the sex) just added to that stereotype.

There might be people out there who think the sex life of some action movie star is the most important thing ever, but I am sure after a little while the immediate interest in Ace's romantic life will wane. The guy came out a year ago, and as much as I understood his dilemma, he should have just gone and said, there, that's him. Publish your crap and be done with it! For most people the world does not revolve around Ace Locke, so why all the secrecy?

The whole scene in Las Vegas was a bit naive, wasn't it? That establishment sounded just like a high end lifestyle club, I don't know what the fuss was all about. The fact that our guys witnessed "depraved" activities (their words) added a sort of narrow minded, prudish undertone to the story which came entirely unexpected, especially seeing the background Dylan came from. I didn't take him for such a petty bourgois.

All that being said, I liked the story. There were none of my pet peeves and the MCs had a solid emotional bond (whatever it is based on), so I will definitely read the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aced.

July 24, 2016 – Started Reading