Melissa Van's Reviews > Watcher in the Woods

Watcher in the Woods by Robert Liparulo

F 50x66

This book, Dreamhouse Kings Watcher in the Woods, is a book that is filled with mystery, suspense, and horror. It is well written and is a good book to read if you like haunted houses, mysterious people, and unexplainable events.
The part of the book that captivated me was the very beginning. In the first lines the middle child, David King, is too young to die, but is in a situation in which dying young is a very big possibility. It tells you about how he is feeling, what is going through his head, and that he is in danger, but it does not tell you where he is or in what time era he is. There seems to be no hope him, no chance for him to escape, then it takes you to the events that lead up to that time and place.
While reading this book I felt anxious, scared for the characters, and curious to what was going to happen next. In every chapter there would be something that would happen that would bring up the question “what is going to happen?” In one chapter David is “flying” but he sees someone in the woods outside his house and falls. His dad takes him to the hospital and immediately the doctor becomes suspicious of David’s father. In another chapter they are going through these doors that will lead anywhere and anytime. When they travel like this there is no telling what could happen and how dangerous it could end up being.
My favorite line of the book is the very last line. Throughout this whole book the Kings have been looking for their mom, who was kidnapped and taken to another world. They have been searching and searching trying to find her and in the very last chapter the oldest says, “I found mom” (Liparulo 290).
I was not able to predict the end of this book it was very surprising. In the last chapter they find their mom, however they could not bring her back with them. The reason this was so surprising is because this is only the second book, and there are many more books in this series, and I did not think they would find her this fast.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watcher in the Woods.

Started Reading
May 21, 2011 – Finished Reading
May 24, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Alyssa Very good review! I agree with you the last line was my favorite! I loved this book :)

Angga i agree with you

message 3: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. On behalf of those who wanted haunted house material when they saw the covers, unfortunately that wasn't fulfilled. It feels more like science fiction and war adventures, which I wouldn't have chosen. I'm already resorting to kids books for lack of good adult ghost fiction. I agree with the rest, well put. :)