Sarah's Reviews > And Then Things Fall Apart

And Then Things Fall Apart by Arlaina Tibensky

May 24, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary-ya, ya

I'm going to give this one four stars, though I'm really not sure at all how to rate this one.

What I liked: Keek's voice. She's brilliantly sarcastic and self-deprecating and authentic and I loved it. I loved her growing relationship with her grandmother and her musings on random topics (I highlighted so very much in this book).

What bugged me: The resolution of pretty much everything (her relationship with her BFF, her boyfriend, her parents--especially her parents) happened so quickly at the end of this book, it felt like a chunk of the novel had been hacked out by a particularly brutal editor. There's little dialogue, so when the book lagged, it really, really lagged. For me, this was during the musings on The Bell Jar and Sylvia Plath (I'm not a fan of either--and even got my hand slapped a bit in college when I wrote a particularly scathing essay about Plath in one of my Women's Lit classes that was required for my Women's Studies major).

But, going on how very strong much of the story is--and the laugh out loud humor of the first two-thirds--I'd recommend this one as a solid contemporary YA read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then Things Fall Apart.

May 24, 2011 – Shelved
August 7, 2011 – Started Reading
August 7, 2011 – Shelved as: contemporary-ya
August 7, 2011 –
5.0% "It's weird that chicken pox isn't a childhood right of passage anymore."
August 7, 2011 –
10.0% "Upside: The voice in this novel is fantastic. Really funny & sarcastic. Downside: This novel is reminding me how sheltered I was in some ways at the age of the main character (15). (Always a hazard when picking up a YA book.)"
August 8, 2011 –
48.0% "Has to Wikipedia The Bell Jar because this book reminded me that I don't like The Bell Jar, but I couldn't remember why."
August 8, 2011 – Shelved as: ya
August 8, 2011 –
62.0% "*snort* "sofa king""
August 8, 2011 –
100.0% "Can't decide how to rate this one. Some of it was brilliant, but the Plathian references started to drag for me."
August 8, 2011 – Finished Reading