Shannon's Reviews > Night Games

May 24, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-own, 2012, super-disappointing
Read on April 12, 2012 — I own a copy

Normally I love every single Fear Street book, no matter how corny or ridiculous they turn out to be. I'll read each book in this series because there's always something I like about each one. Either there's a really good ending or there's a totally weird/lame twist but the buildup is creepy and amazing. Sadly, 'Night Games' didn't have either one for me. The idea itself sounded pretty good, but it was a little misleading to me. I like how morbid these books are with people dying left and right and was excited by a prank gone wrong that results in murder. The Night Games sounded fun I guess, but I thought it was a little immature. I actually got kind of bored and found myself wanting to skip over parts and get to the part where the murder happens. I was kind of angry that I had to read a bunch of lame running around and it wasn't until the last 30 pages or so when someone got knocked off. Even then, it was anti-climatic after all that built up suspense.

The characters were alright I suppose. This wouldn't usually be that big of a problem because, to be honest, character development isn't R.L. Stine's strength. You don't read Fear Street books for self-discovery and overcoming tragedy. You read Fear Street books to scare you out of your wits and freak you out. That's why it sucked for me. I didn't like the characters really and there wasn't much creep factor to me. I liked the girl characters, Diane and Cassie. Jordan was alright, but holy crap, what was this Lenny guy's issue?!! The guy has anger problems galore and I was actually surprised that (view spoiler). Regardless of who offed who, both Lenny and Spencer come off practically as serial killer's in training. Having obsessively watched crime shows on ID, I found myself seeing all the warning signs of psycho behavior. Spencer especially came off as a freak in the flashbacks and I thought he was two steps away from torturing small animals. His whole thing with Diane was weird and I thought it was hilarious how he didn't expect to (view spoiler). I felt bad for him on some points, but in that situation, he kind of deserved what he got.

The ending..wow where do I start? My thoughts can pretty much be summed up by three words (view spoiler). I've read some fairly ridiculous endings in these Fear Street books and this is without a doubt one of the worst ones as of yet. I seriously just started cracking up at like 3 in the morning as I read it. The twist was kind of predictible and I knew what happened like halfway in, but it wasn't terrible. I will say though that I loved the last four paragraphs and the final twist. That part alone kind of redeemed the rest of the book for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Games.

04/12/2012 page 97