Juliana Philippa's Reviews > The Cliff House Strangler

The Cliff House Strangler by Shirley Tallman

(3.5 stars) While I enjoyed this book, it definitely was not as good as the other two in the series that I have read so far. The mystery was not the best or most interesting, likewise with many of the new characters. The regulars - particularly Sarah and Robert - also didn't seem as vibrant as they have in the other two. I love that Robert is coming closer and closer to telling Sarah how he feels and the two quotes below were absolute favorites.

Bottom Line
Basically, I think it's worth it if you're reading the whole series, but not great as a stand-alone.

Favorite Quotes
"As a matter of fact, despite your obstinacy, your infernal prying, and the fact that you invariably blurt out whatever comes into your head, regardless of the consequences, I admit that there are times when I find you irresistible, too." I stared in astonishment at Robert's back as he rose to pay the bill. What in heaven's name, I wondered, did he mean by that?
(p125)

Gruffly, he cleared his throat. "Don't take this as a blanket approval of your tactics, Sarah, but if I'm ever unfortunate enough to get in trouble with the law, I want you to represent me."

(p210)

The Sarah Woolson Mystery Series
Book 1 - Murder on Nob Hill (4 stars)
Book 2 - The Russian Hill Murders (4 stars)
Book 3 - The Cliff House Strangler (3.5 stars)
Book 4 - Scandal on Rincon Hill

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cliff House Strangler.

Quotes Juliana Philippa Liked

Shirley Tallman
“As a matter of fact, despite your obstinacy, your infernal prying, and the fact that you invariably blurt out whatever comes into your head, regardless of the consequences, I admit that there are times when I find you irresistible, too.' I stared in astonishment at Robert's back as he rose to pay the bill. What in heaven's name, I wondered, did he mean by that?”
Shirley Tallman, The Cliff House Strangler

Shirley Tallman
“Gruffly, he cleared his throat. 'Don't take this as a blanket approval of your tactics, Sarah, but if I'm ever unfortunate enough to get in trouble with the law, I want you to represent me.'

Before I could respond to this startling and totally out-of-the-blue compliment, he opened the door and was nudging me inside. I caught a quick glance of his face before he walked off toward the dining room. He was actually blushing!”
Shirley Tallman, The Cliff House Strangler

May 24, 2011 – Shelved
June 3, 2011 – Started Reading
page 94
27.98% "I love Robert (as always), but sometimes Tallman's desire to always have him opposing Sarah's ideas ends up making him look unimaginative and a little dumb ... Which I don't love."
page 125
37.2% ""'As a matter of fact, despite your obstinacy, your infernal prying, and the fact that you invariably blurt out whatever comes into your head, regardless of the consequences, I admit that there are times when I find you irresistible, too.' I stared in astonishment at Robert's back as he rose to pay the bill. What in heaven's name, I wondered, did he mean by that?""
page 151
44.94% "Robert just officially began to piss me off."
page 175
52.08% "God does Sarah not understand the concept of client-attorney privilege?! She's always sharing things with her family and other characters."
page 210
62.5% ""Gruffly, he cleared his throat. 'Don't take this as a blanket approval of your tactics, Sarah, but if I'm ever unfortunate enough to get in trouble with the law, I want you to represent me.' Before I could respond to this startling and totally out-of-the-blue compliment, he opened the door and was nudging me inside. I caught a quick glance of his face before he walked off. He was actually blushing!""
June 4, 2011 – Shelved as: 3-half-stars