Elizabeth B's Reviews > Smuggled

Smuggled by Christina Shea

May 24, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed this book from the very beginning. I had some trouble relating to the main character as she unfolded quite slowly through the pages but the events going on around her were enough to keep me engaged in the storytelling. The supporting characters were a bit forgettable but I find that in most historical novels, they are. It’s more about this one character and their perceptions of the events around them which I enjoy reading about. Once I became attached to the character it went more quickly and the blend of storytelling and characterization carried me along to a fine finish.

I do agree with another reviewer who mentioned the awkward pacing of the novel. Sometimes events would unfold quickly and other times seemed to drag on with no apparent reasoning for the difference. It wasn’t enough to make me put down the book but it did disengage me from reading as I stumbled through a few of the quicker passages and went back to re-read them in case I was misunderstanding the quicker pace.

Overall, an enjoyable read for historical fiction enthusiasts and one that deserves more publicity than which it is being given.

ARC Galley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smuggled.

May 24, 2011 – Started Reading