Carles Caño's Reviews > Write. Publish. Repeat.

Write. Publish. Repeat. by Sean Platt

Jul 23, 2016

Getting serious and serial about writing

This is THE book for those who want to make a career as an indie writer: the bible of Self-Publishing.

I read the book in Kindle format, then I listened to it again as an audiobook and I'll receive the paperback version in a few days. I will place the paperback of "Write. Publish. Repeat" in a display cabinet on my desktop. I will see this book everyday so that it reminds me that there are no shortcuts to make a living on publishing: you are on your own and there is a lot of hard work to do. This is for the long term. But, hey, if that REALLY is what you want to do, then, where's the problem?

One of the best things this book talks about is the funnel concept applied to self-publishing. That implies writing several books that are related. In the case of the authors of this book, they mainly do it with fiction. They release several books that make a "season". They usually put a very low price to the first book of the series (99 cents or even for free). If the reader likes it, a cliff-hanger at the end and a proper call to action gives a chance that he or she will buy the next book.

A great thing that Johnny and Sean tell us is that any idea is good to write something. It is what you do with that idea that ends up in something great. The best example is the books in the Unicorn Western saga where a gunslinger rides a... wait for it... unicorn! That "silly" idea came up in one of The Self Publishing Podcast episodes (run by the authors of the book as well as by David Wright) and Johnny and Sean decided to write about it.

And there is another big idea that I took from the book although it didn't come explicitly explained. I think it is one of the most important things for a writer: work collaboratively. If you don't want to do it, at least have some close writer friends and with whom you can share good and bad moments, ask for advice, get a free in-line editor and so on...

Well, there are many other good things in the book, such as love and take care of your readers, but I don't want to give away any more spoilers. Just buy it, enjoy it and get back to writing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Write. Publish. Repeat..

July 23, 2016 – Shelved