Dan's Reviews > Imago

Imago by Octavia E. Butler

liked it

Spoiler Alert. The following is a metaphorical plot summary of Octavia Butler’s Imago.

The scene is a meet-up night club. A and B are strangers to one another. A sneaks up behind B and whispers.

A: If I don’t have sex with you, I’ll die.

B whirls around and faces him angrily.

B: You are disgusting! Get away from me!
A: Oh, don’t be like that. Here, let me just touch you like this.

B screams.

B: Get your limbs off me! I told you you disgust me! Go away!
A: If you would just be still and let me finish having sex with you, I’ll chemically modify you to be the way I like.

They grapple for several moments. Eventually B’s struggling subsides.

A: There. How do you feel now?
B: If I don’t get to keep having sex with you, I’ll die. And sex with anyone else would disgust me now. And I love you deeply.
A: By the way, I also cured your cancer while we were having sex.
B: You are so awesome. I love you so much.
A: I have a bunch of friends just like me who want to do what I just did to you with all your friends. Will you help me go get your friends so my friends can change them to be the way we like them?
B: Yes. Yes.
A: And then we’ll all live long cancer-free lives having lots of sex and strange children.
B: Mmmmm. Bliss.

The end.

That’s basically what it’s about. Only with aliens and humans in a post-apocalyptic Earth instead of A and B at nightclub.
It’s imaginative. It’s well written. There’s enough tension to keep the pages turning. But it’s a weak ending to a series whose first two books chronicled the near extinction and then stumbling resurrection of the human race.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imago.

July 22, 2016 – Started Reading