emma's Reviews > The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su

1. If you haven’t read Pride & Prejudice, what are you doing with your life?
2. If you have read Pride & Prejudice but you haven’t watched The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, what are you doing with your life?
3. If you have read Pride & Prejudice and watched The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, hurray! Now read this book.

God, I love P&P. I have a strange fascination with romance novels (and rom-coms, for that matter), because very frequently I feel nothing when I’m reading them. But Pride & Prejudice is not in that group. Its better adaptations aren’t either, and The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is totally one of the better adaptations.

The concept is essentially a modern day retelling, with Lizzie Bennet as a grad school communications major creating video diaries based on her life. Darcy owns a digital tech company (as does Ricky Collins), Bing Lee (okay, the name feels a little much for me but hey) is a trust fund med student, Catherine de Bourgh is a venture capitalist, Charlotte is a fellow grad student and the video diaries’ editor. Lydia is a party girl and Jane is ridiculously kind (too kind for a realistic character, if you ask me). Kitty is a literal cat and Mary is a cousin. It’s all so fun.

It doesn’t always work, though. Jane Austen is subtle, as was the web series in its own way--yes, the videos are fully from Lizzie’s perspective, and her status as the “prejudice” leads to broad-stroked renderings of events, but there is still that certain surprise at Darcy’s interest and all the miscommunications. The book finds a lack of the subtlety one could argue the videos have in excess. In attempting to hint at Darcy’s interest in Lizzie and explain how it seems Jane could be uninterested in Bing, it makes both entirely too clear. What’s the fun in that?

Still, I’m struck by how clever this retelling is. It doesn’t want, strangely, for a lack of (a traditional) Kitty and Mary in the household, the grad school format works well, and the Ricky Collins plotline is full-on genius. The series totally deserved all of its lauding, and the book is a fun read for those who have and haven’t seen it. (Still, I recommend watching the vids.)

Bottom line: all my Austen-holics out there, go to YouTube and search “lizzie bennet diaries.” You’ll be so happy you did! (Everyone else: become an Austen fan, stat!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet.

July 22, 2016 – Shelved
November 6, 2016 – Started Reading
November 9, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Jessica Omg. Yes to all of this. I love LBD sooooo much.

emma Jessica wrote: "Omg. Yes to all of this. I love LBD sooooo much."

yeeesssss. the most fun youtube series of all time forever!!!

emma Haylee = puppy love♥ wrote: "I also love pride and prejudice your questions brought this huge smile to my face

excellent review Emma ;-)"

woohoo! thanks so much :) you should check this book out! it's so much fun

Cait • A Page with a View THIS IS MY FAVORITE RETELLING! I was obsessed with this YouTube series and I'm so glad you know/love this too!!!

emma Cait • A Page with a View wrote: "THIS IS MY FAVORITE RETELLING! I was obsessed with this YouTube series and I'm so glad you know/love this too!!!"

it's SO AMAZING! i think i'm due for a rewatch soon :) so thrilled i found a couple fellow LBD fangirls!!!