Steve Woods's Reviews > Being Prayer Transforming Consciousness: Good News Of Buddhist Practice

Being Prayer  Transforming Consciousness by Mary   Rees

May 23, 2011

bookshelves: buddhism, spirituality, life-changers, meditation, psychology-psychotherapy, favorites

I first bought this book when I was particularly interested in the commonalities in the spiritual experience between Christian and Buddhist traditions. The title was catchy, I wasn't sure what i would be getting. the book sat on my table for nearly a year as my interests roamed through other fields. it was fortuitous, I am not sure that i would have been able to appreciate the book then as deeply as I have been able to at this time. I have had some amazing experiences as I have worked my way through the process of surrendering the self, lots of particularly difficult times have ensued. It has taken nearly 4 years to get to a point where the daily experience of awareness and the moment by moment passing of life's drama against that wider more profound background,("great sky") has become crisply clear to me. It is a source of great joy and great relief.

I felt my way through this, principally using my own intuition and what I have been able to glean from the published works of the great Buddhist teachers. The practical element, the living process has often been confused and seemingly without direction at times. It has been a revelation of the spirit to find my experiences written down in this little book as a guide to the journey. I am not sure whether it would have helped to have the guide at the outset, but it is graciously reaffirming for me to know that what I have been through and what I continue on a daily basis IS what others see as the journey. I have done nothing more than put one foot in front of the other for four years, with willingness to simply sustain whatever presented. I have looked to the light at moments when I could not see, in a spirit of trust, no matter how I feared.

It is also affirming to know that the journey for people in other traditions is the same, only the signposts and language differ. There is only one journey, though we may approach it from different directions, ultimately "the One" is one for all.

This book will stay by my side for the remainder of my lifetime a reminder of where I have come from and a guide to my next step. Profound is just not enough.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Prayer Transforming Consciousness.