Steve Woods's Reviews > The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction

The 12-Step Buddhist by Darren Littlejohn

May 23, 2011

bookshelves: buddhism, recovery, spirituality
Read from May 23 to June 20, 2011

As is often the case on "the journey" this book fell into my hands at just the right time. I have been involved in Buddhist study and practice for about three years. It was Meditation that provided me with the "spiritual awakening" and since then exploration of Buddhism and how to apply the teachings to my life has been the central focus of my being. At the same time I found that I was experiencing some dissatisfaction and frustration with AA, both at meetings and in exchanges with my fellow travelers and my commitment to the 12 steps of the program seemed to lose ground in my daily practice. Darren Littlejohn shares many elements of my own story and so the identification that was such a huge attraction when I first entered the fellowship was very strong in this instance, both as an alcoholic and as a practicing Buddhist. He was able to give voice to many of the feelings I had been experiencing and to point the way to integration of both these spiritual paths that have been so central to my life. I feel excited, rejuvenated and more deeply committed than ever to pursuit of freedom from the "bondage of self." I found the book very accessible and a number of his suggestions very powerful. I will be incorporating them into my own daily practice. I did find some of the references to Tibetan Buddhism and some of his explorations of that tradition a bit difficult to relate to since my own tradition is drawn from the Thervada school....but hey I have learned through all of this that the AA trinity Honesty Open mindedness and Willingness can be brought to anything and the results are always astounding. I will take the Buddhas advice in this regard "ehi passiko" (Australian translation suck it and see!)
I recommend the book to anyone who is involved with the 12 steps and any practicing Buddhist, there is much common ground hers and perspectives that illuminate both ways. Read it and more shall be revealed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 12-Step Buddhist.