Asha's Reviews > Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City

Not in My Neighborhood by Antero Pietila

liked it
bookshelves: african-american, social-justice-social-policy

This book discuss housing segregation in Baltimore. Outside the limits of Jim Crow it explains how northern cities, similar to Philly, NYC, Chicago, used more clever methods to impose segregation policies. It also includes social theories and beliefs such as Eugenics, and how they promoted these policies. For this reason it is a good read.
However, where it falls short , it did not following the title. It doesn't explain how these policies ultimately "shaped baltimore" such as crime, poverty , schooling issues. It goes into details on the architecture design of richer neighborhood, but misses the mark on development of rowhouses, which eventually fell apart and are a major source of lead poisoning. I read the book twice, I plan to read once more now that I live in Baltimore and have more background information but there is definitely a missing piece.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not in My Neighborhood.

Started Reading
January 1, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 22, 2016 – Shelved
July 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 7, 2016 – Shelved as: african-american
September 14, 2016 – Shelved as: social-justice-social-policy

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Asha The Color of Law is a relatively new book, that is supposed to be really good on this subject . Most books tackle one area however, some are on my list , under social issues, including Making of a ghetto ( there is a Harlem and Chicago version )