C.G. Drews's Reviews > Release

Release by Patrick Ness

bookshelves: 5-star, contemporary, magical-fantasy, read-2017, young-adult, ya-male-narrators, read-2018, reread
Read 2 times. Last read September 10, 2018 to September 11, 2018.

READ #2, Sept 2018

Ahhh I needed a good reread of an excellent book full of heartache, existential crisis, and questions about what it means to love and be love. Let me just go cry my own salty Dead Sea ok. I always adore Patrick Ness' books and I can't pick a favourite, but this??? So high up on the list. AFKSLAD ADAM YOU DESERVE MORE LOVE THAN YOU THINK YOU DESERVE.

READ #1: May 2017
I was so addicted to every single page of this. Omg can Patrick Ness do no wrong. His characters are so real and my absolutely favourite thing of all the evers is how his stories seamlessly weave in a sort of fantastical or mystical element into them. Like I don't always "Get" it fully...but I APPRECIATE it and it makes me want to reread the book as soon as I've finished. aGHHH THIS WAS JUST SO SO GOOD.

The story actually takes place over one day, too! Otherwise known as "The Most Really Worst Day In The Possible Of Existence". I felt so bad for Adam. Mate. This was so bad. And the fact that I could get this invested in characters and their lives and the complexity of everything and it's just ONE DAY is (A) proof of phenomenal writing, and (B) proof that I have a heart. Excellent. I had my doubts.

ADAM IS PRECIOUS. He's very lost and he feels like he isn't loved. Well, actually worse: he feels like he doesn't deserve to be loved. My heart kind of broke for him, because, sure he doesn't have the "worst life ever" on the outside, but he has a highly religious family who believe being gay is a choice and a sin. And the boy he loved the most just broke his heart. And like the pain and heartache was so raw and palpable on the pages. He's not whingeing the whole time, but you can see pieces of him cracking as everything in his day goes from bad to actual hell.

And yes it does have a lot of religion in it. But not like the preachy style. More like: This is Adam's family. THEY SUCK. And they are trying to love him in spite of him being gay and aguhrghuhgh no excuse me while I just get very distressed. Also there's an author's note that says the author actually based this story of his life growing up in a strictly religious family while being gay. You can absolutely feel the authenticity of Adam's emotions because of this. And like I don't think the book particularly hates ON religion. It criticises people who are hypocrites with how they show love. There's plenty of homophobia and it huuuurts.

SMOL LIST OF THINGS TO LOVE:
• Adam has the most epic best friend of Angela, who's Korean, and they love each other (platonically!!) to pieces.
• there is pizza
• it talks about the fact you CAN choose your own family
• there are plenty of surprising twists
• YOUR HEART MIGHT BREAK SEVERAL TIMES
• there is a meaningful rose
• death
• relatable and interesting and complex teenagers who just felt SO REAL

Okay so the magical realism aspect? I didn't quite understand it. There's a dead girl who is a ghost and she goes looking for her killer...and I DON'T EVEN KNOW, DUDE. She finds a faun??? She starts to be a queen??? It was all very vague and metaphorical with flowery writing and ethereal tones. And like I APPRECIATED IT, but I actually didn't quite understand how it wrapped into Adam's story. Obviously it didn't dampen my enjoyment of the story to be a Clueless Avocado. (Ooh, my new nickname. I shall put that on my business cards.) BECAUSE FIVE STARS. ALL THE STARS. STARS FOR EVERYONE.

ALL IN ALL: I absolutely loved this story. It was precious and raw and simultaneously heartbreaking and hopeful. And I seriously hope Adam has a better day after this book ends because seriously, talk about a day of craptasticness. I will always always always love books where the message is: YOU DESERVE TO BE LOVED. Because you do. This book definitely caught my cold dead Vulcan heart and, omg, I feel a singular warm emotion. <3 I love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Release.

July 22, 2016 – Shelved
July 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 4, 2017 – Started Reading
May 4, 2017 –
page 183
63.76% "This should be otherwise titled: One Boy Has One Really ReallyReallyReallyReallyReally Super Bad Day"
May 5, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
May 13, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
September 10, 2018 – Started Reading
September 10, 2018 –
page 114
39.72% "You know that feeling when your TBR is so overwhelming that you cAN'T MAKE A DECISION so you pick an old book to reread????

me"
September 11, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
September 11, 2018 – Shelved as: reread
September 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

OMGGG I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT

message 2: by Isabella (new)

Isabella I have to get my hands on this as soon as possible! It sounds incredible :)

Selina I loved it!

message 4: by La Coccinelle (new)

La Coccinelle The story sounds good, and I like the idea of a story that takes place in one day, but... I'm allergic to Ness's writing. I'm glad it worked for you, though!

message 5: by George (new)

George Jankovic Great review, Cait!

Finn Longman I just got this from Edelweiss, excited to read it. :)

Imogen I finished reading it 5 mins ago and you know I gotta update my reading challenge asap #bookwormlife and I saw you'd read it. YOUR REVIEW IS PERFECTION haha no but seriously though I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING 😂😍 I love reading your stuff always super funny and scarily similar to my views! Thanks for entertaining me once again! 💯

C.G. Drews @Imogen: Aww thank YOU for leaving such a nice comment!!

message 9: by Cas (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cas I also didn't really get the magical part of it so it's good to see I'm not the only one! Great review :)

message 10: by Iz (new)