Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Akata Witch

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor

bookshelves: read2016, sci-fi-fantasy, ya, location-nigeria, location-africa, africa2016

After seeing the author read from what will be Akata Witch #2, I realized I had overlooked a book I should seek out. Akata Witch soon pulled itself ahead of the other books in my tbr pile.

If you like books about magic, particularly teens finding out they have special abilities, learning to use them, and building a community with others like them, this is the book for you. Added to those well-loved tropes is a new landscape with new traditions and rules. Setting it in Nigeria, with Igbo people but also Efik, allows for new magic, new histories, and more possibilities.

I loved the character of Sunny, who starts out as an outsider for two reasons - she is albino, and while this is a noticeable character trait it also prevents her from social activities like football; she also was born in America and lived there most of her childhood. That is where the word "akata" comes from, it is a word that means something very negative. Apparently the Nigerian edition of the novel had to have a different title!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Akata Witch.

July 21, 2016 – Shelved