Elise's Reviews > Filthy Beautiful Lies

Filthy Beautiful Lies by Kendall Ryan

it was ok

I feel...underwhelmed? Let down? Disappointed? Apathetic isn't too far off. This book was, honestly, nothing special. I feel like I'm on a streak or something. Lately all the NA romance I've been reading has been like this one: forgettable.

I don't think there's any specific reason I didn't like this very much (it did have it's worse points though), it was just mediocre. It didn't deliver on what the title promised (that is to say it was non-steamy) and the characters were all over the place. They said one thing, but did another.

Sophie's life revolves pretty much entirely around Colton, which I found a little pathetic to be honest. I also might have been frustrated that Sophie shared so much about her life with Colton, but he kept these huge secrets from her, but I wasn't, because I honestly didn't really care. And that cliffhanger at the end? I saw it coming a mile away. It was pretty obvious.

Colton also has a truly horrid and inaccurate image of women, to say the least. He goes on this rant about how all women are cheating, whoring, gold digging, vain pieces of shit and how according to evolution, yes, EVOLUTION, a woman looks for the biggest, toughest male to look after her and her babies. I'm paraphrasing but sadly not exaggerating. He calls it science. And she accepts it! I don't know which is worse! I'm getting worked up just thinking about it! Ugh!

Yeah, so Not-So-Filthy, Beautiful Lies was a let-down in pretty much every aspect. I feel like I've wasted my time. Okay, that's maybe a slight exaggeration. I didn't hate every minute of it and it was entertaining enough at times. But still. I'm not invested in the story or the characters and I probably won't read the second book, but who knows.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Filthy Beautiful Lies.

July 21, 2016 – Started Reading
July 21, 2016 – Shelved
July 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 21, 2016 –
57.0% "I am aware I have a slight problem"
July 22, 2016 – Finished Reading