Arlene's Reviews > Dance with the Devil

Dance with the Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon

bookshelves: greek-mythology, read-2011, romance, urban-fantasy, vampires, paranormal, adult

Dance with the Devil is the third installment in Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter series. I’ve really enjoyed these books because they are filled with a ton of great characters and packed with fast-paced action.

In this book, we meet Zarek who is a soulless Dark Hunter responsible for protecting mankind from the Daimons that want to destroy humans. Z’s past is long and tortured and when the story commences we learn that the goddess Artemis is about to condemn him to death for crimes that go against his oath to protect. That is until Acheron cuts her deal and as part of the pact they bring Astrid, the nymph of justice, to observe Z and determine if he’s worthy to live or not. That’s when the action kicks up and the stakes are raised and everything that happens from page 1 to 251 is filled with fury and fire!

Zarek and Astrid make a great hero and heroine for this book. I admired the conditions Astrid was placed in to judge Z’s character, and the way she tested him over and over again was heart wrenching when his secrets were revealed, but also there were moments of humor and sincerity. Zarek’s back-story is pretty rough to read about, and it’s not quickly revealed. He has a lot to his past that Astrid strives to uncover, which will help her judge his character and decide his fate.

There were great secondary characters that played pretty big roles in this book and I hope to read more about Sasha, Simi, the Fates, Jess and of course Acheron who is suddenly become one of my favorite in this series.

As with Kenyon’s other characters, she sure likes to put them through torturous times. Luckily though, you can tell Kenyon cares for them because she never closes the pages of her books without some just reward for her H/H. All very well done and definitely a contender for top urban fantasy/paranormal series. I enjoyed it much!

Song Choice: Secrets – One Republic

Quotes:
“It is only with the heart that one can rightly see. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” A...

“Hopeless implies that at one time there was hope. And that’s another word I don’t understand. Hope only exists for people who have choices.” Z...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance with the Devil.

May 23, 2011 – Started Reading
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: paranormal
May 26, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 27, 2011 – Shelved as: adult

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Happy Reading hun! I wont be able to get to these books for awhile:(

Arlene Thank you! It's really good so far Tina, so I hope you get to read it soon. :)

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Enjoy Zarek :)

Arlene Thanks Nic! I'm having fun with this one. :D

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Zarek. <3 And Astrid's not half bad, either.

Arlene LOL Krista. I think Zarek reminds me of Z from BDB. :) I really like Zarek so far, but that's just me swooning over hot messes. :P

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Oh yeah. His type always gets me swoony. Plus, I have a soft spot for guys that need lots of hugs.

message 8: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora I really need to start this series soon.

Great review and, BTW, I LOVE One Republic!

Crystal Woohoo Great review!!! I loved this one too!! I can't put my thoughts together yet for my review but yours captured everything twinie!! Z *SQUEE*!!!!

Arlene @ Krista... oh those hugs!! I could give him some! :)

@ Lora, thanks! If you like BDB, I think you'll like this series. I really like their music too. :)

@ Crystal, thanks! Yes, I loved this one too. Thanks for reading it with me. I had a blast... as always. :P Yes, Zarek surely is squee worthy. Did I tell you my Nook was running out of juice and I was sitting up against the wall hooked up to the power adaptor? LOL I broke my power adaptor because I must have pulled on it or something. I need to go get a new one. :/

Crystal Thanks for reading it with me *hugs* I have the best time reading these =)

Oh no!!!! I am sorry but I am laughing at you sitting on the floor yanking your nook out of the wall while reading about Z and Astrid LMAO!! You must have REALLY liked this one hahaha ;) Serious now I am sorry, that stinks! I hope you get a new one soon.

Arlene *hugs back!* it was a ton of fun.

LOL, no worries! It's the plastic piece that hooks into the Nook that lights up. It cracked! LOL I don't know what I was doing but it just fell apart. I just found my box, so I'm going to B&N to get a new one. We'll see what happens. But I will tell you, I'm not going to tell them that I was reading a sm3xy book up against the wall when it broke. I'll just give that innocent "I don't know what happened" look. :P Wish me luck!

Crystal LMAO! Well if it is a lady I am sure she would understand lol. Good luck!!

message 14: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Great review Arlene. Glad you loved it so much!

message 15: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Gah! Really need to get back into this world! Great review, Arlene!

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber Great review Arlene! I'm gonna seriously need to look into these...of course after Nekkid Shane!! Lol