Pauline's Reviews > A Short History of Nearly Everything

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Mar 04, 2008

bookshelves: adult-non-fiction, young-adult-non-fiction, own, science, read-2008, reviews
Read in April, 2008

Bill Bryson has produced a comprehensive book “of nearly everything”. If you want to know about atoms and molecules, anthropology, Einstein, Darwin, genetics or even the effect of over-fishing the oceans this book has the knowledge you are looking for.

I loved reading about the extinct animals that our world was once blessed to have, can you imagine a sloth tall enough to look into a house’s upper window? What a treasure that some people had the mind set to record their observations of these extinct animals, but what a shame that people on whole did not realize the implications of misusing the earth and thereby causing extinction.

One thing I have learned over the years and this book reinforces that theory is that science should be digested with a grain of salt. I use to believe that science was absolute, but as I age I now know that science and its concepts are in constant flux.

A great book I recommend it to all adults and teens that have even the slightest interest in any genre of science.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Nearly Everything.

02/13 marked as: read