Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > This Savage Song

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

47207032

Man, I feel like I've really knocked it out of the park lately with some fantastic YA reads! I've been trying to balance out my reading schedule with fun reads, alongside ones for review on the blog, and I think this is helping repel the "burnout syndrome". I have no earthly idea why this has been sitting on my physical and digital shelves for so long; I kept meaning to pick it up, but then I would remember the sequel wasn't coming out until the twelfth of never, and other books were shiny or more pressing, and alas, I would reach for a proper book that was more along the lines of required reading. FINALLY! I'm so glad I decided enough was enough; I guess my subconscious was on to something though, since now I don't have to wait long for that gorgeous sequel. Best cover art ever, right?

I love how creative the idea behind this plot is. Monsters being created from our transgressions; there's just something so poetic and disturbing about it. Victoria Schwab was able to create a high fantasy visual to give us thought into just how our actions, good and bad, can have a ripple effect on the world around us. I found myself easily getting lost in the world of Verity; of course the author, being the writing queen she is, was able to slowly immerse us into this dystopian world without using the dreaded info dump. During the first 100 pages, we are left in the dark about many of the going ons, and we are slowly filled in, which gave me all the tinglies in my suspense-loving bones. I connected immediately with August; while it took awhile to warm up to Kate I found myself very protective over her as we followed alongside the journey. And wow! That ending! What a perfect segue into the final entry. I could have definitely enjoyed this being a full fledged trilogy but I won't be greedy and am grateful for what I can get. :) If you have been living under a rock such as I the past year, please do yourself a favor and pick this one up asap. We can be all caught up and fangirl (or boy) over the next book together as us bookworm creatures do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Savage Song.

July 20, 2016 – Shelved
March 30, 2017 – Started Reading
March 30, 2017 –
page 24
5.62% "Well of course this dang book doesn't count in the 40 pages of "Prologue" I read as it only starts counting after that, but just dipping my toes in this one tonight. So far really liking it."
April 3, 2017 –
page 145
33.96% "OO this is really good. I love all the rhyming words and how this has a YA True Blood feel to it."
April 4, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Candace Robinson Love this book!

Chelsea Humphrey I'm really enjoying it so far Candace! Kinda glad I waited so that now I won't have to wait as long for the sequel!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope you love this Chelsea!! This one is different, but really good!
Also, your new pic threw me for a loop ahahah loving it though!!!

Chelsea Humphrey Solly I am LOVING this. As much as I typically enjoy the romance in YA, it's kinda refreshing to read one without it.

BAHAHAHA I got a mommy makeover! I usually look like a potato in sweat pants.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Pfffftt I have never seen you look like that =)

Chelsea Humphrey Sarah it's so true. :) It's ok, I'm proud of my "comfortable" look haha!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Nothing wrong with that. I have been known to do the same =)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I loved this book! =) And FYI: your bday is one day after mine. lol

Chelsea Humphrey Oh man is it really Melissa?! We're basically twinsies! XO :) *muah*

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I know right =) xo *muah* right back!

Chelsea Forker Can you please tell me your secret about finding time to read with kids!? I have one toddler and I crave reading time :((( Im so jealous.

Chelsea Humphrey Oh Chels it's taken me years to master this! To be honest, it helps that my kids love playing in the daycare at our gym. Sometimes we go for 2 hours a day. And my husband frequently works nights, so I read after the girls are in bed. But I read fast too so that helps.

Sam (Clues and Reviews) I have this on my TO READ shelf too!!

Chelsea Humphrey Do you really Sam?! It's so good!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

A potato in sweatpants LOOOOL
Same tho, same

Tala Lucy This book reminded me of Van Helsing (the new series on netflix) sooooo good!

Chelsea Humphrey Oo Tala I need to check that out!

sreeja (hiatus) have fun reading this!! :)

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks Sreeja!

LittleBookDruid I loved it.

Chelsea Humphrey Yay!!!

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael I love your review and your new profile pic!

message 23: by Farith (new) - added it

Farith Nice review! :D I'll add it to my Farith-you-have-to-buy-this-or-I'll-kill-you list xD
Btw I love your new pic! <33

Chelsea Humphrey Michael wrote: "I love your review and your new profile pic!"

Thank you friend!

Chelsea Humphrey Farith wrote: "Nice review! :D I'll add it to my Farith-you-have-to-buy-this-or-I'll-kill-you list xD
Btw I love your new pic! <33"

HAHAHAHA that is the most perfect list! I need to make a Chelsea list like that!!!

And thank you so much Farith XX

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Chelsea Humphrey Solomon wrote: "Awesome review as always Chelsea!! I think I may need to reread this because I forgot all about it LOL"

Thank you Solomon! Yes definitely; I highly recommend doing so. It's such a fast read too!

message 28: by KAS (new)

KAS Enjoyed reading your review, Chelsea ;) I love a great YA read, so will definitely be checking this one out!!

Chelsea Humphrey KAS wrote: "Enjoyed reading your review, Chelsea ;) I love a great YA read, so will definitely be checking this one out!!"

Thank you Kas!

message 30: by Zaria Forde (new)

Zaria Forde Any cursing in this one?