Amy | Foxy Blogs's Reviews > The Girl on the Train

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

“EVERYTHING IS A LIE”
That one statement sums up The Girl on the Train plot, for me.

First off, I had no clue if we could trust our main narrator, Rachel. She spent so much time drinking and/or blacking out that I had reservations about her recalculation of the events that lead to this wild goose chase.

Second off, we get several points of view and each one has a secret to hide that leaves the reader giving everyone the side eye.

Who can you trust in this story?!

Rachel commutes daily on the train and she watches the people in their homes. She comes to “know” them through her train window. One day she sees something bad happen and she reports it to the police and this is where the story takes off. Prior to that, I wasn’t sure how I felt about this book. I had a hard time connecting to the beginning of the story because it was very disjointed since most of it was told from a drunken pov. But once the incident happened and the reader starts getting clues to what is happening I was on board that train with Rachel trying to figure out all the secrets and lies.

If you like psychological thrillers then hop on board this crazy train where everything is either a secret and/or lie.

STANDALONE

descriptive text here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl on the Train.

July 20, 2016 – Started Reading
July 20, 2016 – Shelved
July 20, 2016 – Shelved as: library2go
July 20, 2016 – Shelved as: headphones
July 22, 2016 –
40.0% "This is a strange story\n \n description"
July 27, 2016 –
80.0% "Still a strange story \n \n description"
July 27, 2016 – Shelved as: july-2016
July 27, 2016 – Shelved as: amazon
July 27, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-books
July 27, 2016 – Finished Reading
March 5, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery-suspense-thriller
March 10, 2017 – Shelved as: books-to-screen

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Linda Great review, Amy. This sure was a crazy ride!

message 2: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Montoya I've been very curious about this book for a while. Great review!

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Great review, Amy! ❤️ This reminds me a little bit of Gone Girl. My hubs asked me not to read the book because he wants to see the movie and he doesn't want me to have an advantage of knowing what's going on. Maybe I'll go back and read it after the movie.

♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ Great review, Amy xx

message 5: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Amazing review, Amy!! Looking forward to reading this.

message 6: by Lo Bookfrantic (new)

Lo Bookfrantic Great review, Amy! I've been watching the movie trailer I really want to read the book first.

Candace Terrific review, Amy! :)

Amy | Foxy Blogs Linda wrote: "Great review, Amy. This sure was a crazy ride!"

Thanks, Linda
Are you going to see the movie? (October 7th)

Amy | Foxy Blogs Dee wrote: "I've been very curious about this book for a while. Great review!"

Thanks Dee
It's a strange one for sure. I saw the preview for it when I had gone to see -me before you. So, I decided to give it a go

Amy | Foxy Blogs Jen wrote: "Great review, Amy! ❤️ This reminds me a little bit of Gone Girl. My hubs asked me not to read the book because he wants to see the movie and he doesn't want me to have an advantage of knowing what'..."

thanks, Jen
my husband doesn't enjoy when I read a book and then see the movie with him because I spend the whole time telling him -"that's not how it happened" LOL

Amy | Foxy Blogs ♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ wrote: "Great review, Amy xx"

thanks, Jx ♥ xo

Amy | Foxy Blogs Courtney wrote: "Amazing review, Amy!! Looking forward to reading this."

Thanks, Courtney ♥ I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of it. :)

Amy | Foxy Blogs Loyda wrote: "Great review, Amy! I've been watching the movie trailer I really want to read the book first."

Thanks, Loyda
Yes, I'd read the book first...but it was the movie trailer that got me to read it. October 7th is the movie release so you have plenty of time.

Amy | Foxy Blogs Candace wrote: "Terrific review, Amy! :)"

Thanks, Candace ♥ :)

message 15: by Bj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bj Great review Amy! I love books that keep you guessing! I just got off the wait-list for the audio version of this book, and hope to be listening to it soon.

Amy | Foxy Blogs Bj wrote: "Great review Amy! I love books that keep you guessing! I just got off the wait-list for the audio version of this book, and hope to be listening to it soon."

Thanks, Bj
I also listened to an audio copy from the library!
We'll both ready for the movie when it releases in a month! I hope you enjoy it. :)

message 17: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa Rapkin Great review Amy! I'm going to read this soon!

Amy | Foxy Blogs Teresa wrote: "Great review Amy! I'm going to read this soon!"

Thanks, Teresa
I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

Susanne  Strong Nice review Amy!

Amy | Foxy Blogs Susanne wrote: "Nice review Amy!"

Thanks, Susanne
I still haven't seen the movie but I want to :)