George Jankovic's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

I love middle-grade books. The quality is usually as good as with adult books, yet they are so cute, fresh and easy-to-read. They also attack problems in life head on. They are rarely politically-correct. Kids don't beat around the bush and neither do the books for them.

The first quarter of When You Reach Me is about the life of a sixth grader Miranda. Here are examples of wonderful chapter headings:

Things you keep in a box

Things you hide

Things that sneak up on you

At times that first part is interesting, at times slow (as life can sometimes be :-), but always well written.

Then things heat up big time when the mystery kicks in. It's not hard to guess how the letters are sent, but by whom, why...? I guessed who the sender is after the second letter and who the sender was after the third, but wasn't sure. The book kept me on my toes. And I didn't get the why until much later.

The story then just gets better and better, and more personal. And the end is amazing. One of the best endings--easily 5+ stars. My eyes got teary when Miranda gave birthday presents to her mom and the mom's bf. And when she thought of the implications her letter would have on the mystery person.

A wonderful book.

And did I mention those chapter headings? Here are a few more:

Things you keep secret

Things that smell

Things you push away

Messy things

Things you left behind

Difficult things

I highly recommend this book to everyone. P.S. My son loved it, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.

July 20, 2016 – Started Reading