Dankwa Brooks's Reviews > Do the Right Thing: A Spike Lee Joint

Do the Right Thing by Spike Lee

Read 2 times. Last read January 1, 2010.

‘Do the Right Thing’ is my FAVORITE “Spike Lee Joint”. Don’t know why it took me so long to get this book, but it did. Probably because I owned, and poured over all of the extras on the 2 Disc DVD. What more could I learn right? Turns out a lot more. Yes the DVD was very detailed, but much insight is to be gained in this book mostly curated from his journals while making DTRT.

For most of all of his early films, Spike Lee published an accompanying book. This was also mostly before DVDs with all of their commentaries and extras. Even back then it seems that Mr. Lee knew that other filmmakers like me were interested not only in his films, but the stories behind them as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Do the Right Thing.

Started Reading
January 1, 2010 – Finished Reading
May 23, 2011 – Shelved
October 27, 2012 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
November 7, 2012 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
November 7, 2012 –
page 9
2.5% "Starting the book about my fav @SpikeLee Joint! This page starts—An Oral History by Jason Matloff featuring pretty much e'rybody, cast & crew, involved in the classic film." (Hardcover Edition)
page 40
11.11% "The Oral History is over and this is where the photograph stills from the film are exhibited in large glossy 11X14 pages" (Hardcover Edition)
page 104
28.89% "This page starts the behind the scenes photographs by David Lee" (Hardcover Edition)
page 178
49.44% "This page starts the actual handwritten script of 'Do the Right Thing'. Spike wrote it on legal pads and maybe I'm just a screenwriter, but it is very compelling to read." (Hardcover Edition)
page 359
99.72% "And that's it. The last pages details the entire movie credits of people who were associated with the film. Besides the Oral History, most of the book is photographs and the script. A nice "coffee table book" for fans of the film." (Hardcover Edition)
November 10, 2012 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)