Adriyanna Zimmermann's Reviews > Nil Remembered

Nil Remembered by Lynne Matson

NIL REMEMBERED by Lynne Matson is a quick, enjoyable read. I loved the main character, Scott - his personality really stood out to me & his humour was great. I loved that, after going through Nil, he still found ways to make jokes. It actually reminded me of the protagonist in THE MARTIAN.

This novella is written in a journal-type format, with a mix of drawings and entries. It was an interesting way of re-discovering Nil, at least for someone like me who's read the first book in the series & already knows a bit about the island. Sometimes it got a bit boring which I think was due to the lack of dialogue.

At the end of almost every journal entry Scott would write, "my name is Scott Bracken, and this is the truth". I think it made this journal-type format all the more authentic. When you've gone through such a traumatic experience and people are telling you it wasn't real, it definitely seems like something you'd be constantly thinking about. Something that you'd have to write down.

There were only a couple things I disliked about the book. One is really specific, here's a quote from the book:

"Now she'd been sitting in front of the Wall of Names for the last twenty minutes, Indian-style, like she was silently singing the Clash song 'Should I Stay or Should I Go.'".

I don't really like that term "Indian-style", which I usually see describing someone sitting cross-legged. I only ever see it in books published in the US, so maybe it's only me (a Canadian) but I feel like people should use words like "cross-legged" instead of "Indian-style". I feel like it's not referencing Indian as in India but Native American, so I always get a bad feeling when I see it.

Overall I thought this was a fun, interesting addition to the NIL series and I definitely recommend it. Even though it's a prequel, I'd say read NIL first and then this, just so you have a better understanding of Nil going into it. Disclaimer: I downloaded the ebook from Kobo for free, this has in no way altered my honest opinion of the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nil Remembered.

July 19, 2016 – Shelved