Leigh Kramer's Reviews > King's Cage

King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard

May 20, 2017

liked it

I have mixed feelings about the third installment of this series. I still find the world-building to be extremely compelling, as well as relevant to today. Each successive book drives home the tensions between the Silvers and the Reds and the moral repugnance of the way the Silvers enslave the Reds. There is no clear way forward for these factions but the newbloods show there might be a third way and the new alliance in this book shows the Red Guard, Montfort, and Command working to integrate Silvers, Reds, and newbloods. This was fascinating and while the analogy doesn't hold up entirely when we think about race and privilege in our world, there's a lot for us to take away.

Mare's character growth was incredible. She was getting on my nerves in the last book but here, through terrible circumstances, she starts facing her own demons. The scenes with Maven were heart-wrenching as she battled what he used to mean to her, the monster he is now, and the monster she fears she is. I want Maven to be redeemed so badly and maybe this will happen in the final book, though I hope Aveyard won't take a conventional approach in doing so. Cal has finally- finally!- picked a side but the stakes remain high for the former prince and the decision he's faced with at the end is brutal and OMG if he makes the wrong choice it is going to haunt him forever. This alone is what will make me want to read the next book.

So all of that is pretty positive but here's what I wasn't feeling so much. Whereas the first two books have been from Mare's perspective, this book gives us two other first person accounts: Cameron and Evangeline. Granted, their perspectives were interesting and gave us a lot more information, which was useful since Mare was a prisoner. At the same time, my paranoid instincts kicked up because this had Allegiant written all over it. Maybe nothing Allegiant-like happened this time but I'm girding my loins for whatever might happen as the series wraps up. (While I loved Allegiant and appreciated that bold move, I do not want that to happen here. No thank you.)

The book also started dragging around the middle and I found myself only skimming the battle scenes. It wasn't as much of a page turner as the first two, though as I noted above it remains a compelling story overall. I look forward to seeing what Aveyard will do next because I have no idea what a happy resolution might look like for the kingdoms or these characters. Also, be sure to read her acknowledgments: the last four paragraphs gave me goosebumps.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King's Cage.

July 19, 2016 – Shelved