Libby's Reviews > The Wave: In the Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks and Giants of the Ocean

The Wave by Susan Casey

1820314
May 22, 2011

bookshelves: rip-roaring-sea-adventure, sea-story, science

I was going to give it five stars but the doe eyed bleating about how strong/smart/hot/hard Laird Hamilton is and her obvious desire to go "pole-surfing" with him made me knock off a star. When I read her last book about great whites I remember being annoyed by the insistent intrusion of her personal views http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... this time it was her adoration of Laird and elevation of big wave surfers into the realms of Gods that did it. I guess it must have been hard to blend big wave surfing with science and maritime disasters but she gave it a good attempt. I did have a soft spot for the way she described the many, many moods of the ocean and she managed to keep a feeling of suspense throughout the book. The topics are a personal favorite of mine and perhaps I was a mite jealous that she was paid to research and write a book that I would have liked to have written myself (minus the frothing at the mouth about Laird and his buddies).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wave.

May 19, 2011 – Started Reading