Carrie's Reviews > Glitter

Glitter by Aprilynne Pike

bookshelves: netgalley

In a futuristic version of Versailles in which people have modern technology and comforts they still live as if it's the eighteenth century as far as dress and society is concerned. Seventeen year old Danica stumbles upon the young King in a rather compromising position that ends in the death of a servant girl.

Using the situation Danica's mother bribes the King to marry her daughter to further their family without consideration for Danica. Danica now has six months until her eighteenth birthday to try to find her way out of a terrible situation.

Glitter really is one of those reads that is going to be extremely controversial among readers. The idea that the main character is being forced to marry someone she doesn't want to isn't exactly a new one in books but the author has certainly made this situation completely unique starting with the world she built and then the actions of the character to get out of the marriage.

The world in this story was certainly a unique one that I loved. While reading you know right away that the society is a bit more advanced that what we have today in the technology that is being added all along the read. But the book also has a historical feel to the setting with the wardrobes and social statuses of the characters. I will say I thought that the story did drag a bit with the constant mentioning of the clothing of the era after the first few times, some of that could have been cut out after establishing the setting.

In the story Glitter is a new drug and Danica comes up with a way to make the money she needs from selling it. The controversial part is that those buying is they have no idea that is what is happening. I found this very interesting reading if you put aside any moral concerns to what is going on. To me it's a work of fiction so I can let any concerns slide and dive right into finding out how this is going to all work out in the end of this unique story. The relationship in the story could have used a bit more attention too, perhaps focusing a bit more on it instead of Danica's wardrobe.

Overall, 3.5 stars. Certainly a unique story line although the drug involvement won't be for all readers. Absolutely loved the ending to this, a bit of a jaw dropper after all that led to it but also a bit of a chuckle but that is all I will say so as not to spoil this one.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glitter.

July 19, 2016 – Shelved
July 19, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 19, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 28, 2016 – Started Reading
August 29, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Andrea Another great review. Adding this one to my TBR list too.

Carrie Thanks Andrea, I hope you like it! Looking at the negative reviews it seems to be because of the drugs but it clearly says that is what it is about in the synopsis. I picked it up looking for something different and I certainly got that. :)

Andrea I loved it!

Carrie I'm glad you liked this one Andrea!