Felicia A's Reviews > Sick

Sick by Brett Battles

May 22, 2011

Could be the start of an epic series...but works quite well as a stand-alone novel. This thriller--which COULD, but does not quite--tip over into the PA genre, starts out with a bang. The action begins with the first paragraph, and rarely slows from that point.

Well written and engaging, with well developed characters that you can identify with, this story grabs you from the gate. Daniel Ash wakes in the night, hearing his daughter call out for him, and he knows that something just isn't right. No, it wasn't, it wasn't right at all.

From the moment he discovers his sick daughter, bio-hazard suit covered strangers show up, and events spiral out of control all the way to the end. The story was gripping, hard to put aside, and concluded well.

In the vein of Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger series, I believe that Mr. Battles has the ability to take Daniel Ash to the top of the thriller novel chain, and I would be willing to take the journey with Ash. That's saying a lot, as thrillers are not usually of interest to me.

*In the interest of full disclosure, I do not know this author, but received a free review copy from him. That has not in any way influenced my review of this book, as I enjoyed the book, Sick, immensely.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sick.

May 22, 2011 – Shelved