Stacey Kym's Reviews > Random Acts of Marriage

Random Acts of Marriage by Boone Brux

bookshelves: arcs-entangled-publishing, 2016-reviews

ARC kindly provided by Entangled Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

Review

'Random Acts of Marriage' was...okay for me but I found the characters a bit...well, not to my taste. They just weren't what I wanted them to be, and I guess that really brought down the overall rating for me. Just their whole personalities were subpar to me and didn't allow me to strongly connect with either the story or them.
The novella was written quite well on the other hand and upped the ante for me. It was able to convey those emotions across to me (thank goodness or I would have perished a reader's death) and made reading worthwhile. I can't and shan't say anything negative about this aspect of the novel because it was so well done. I liked how simple and flowing everything was executed.
A good setting and world-building for this instalment. I did feel confused at times because I started reading the second instalment instead of the first, (I know, I'm weird) so the fact that were was a wedding going on made me think that the couple getting married were the main characters in the first instalment but apparently they have NOTHING to do with the series. So, I guess this all the novellas are standalones through and through.
I felt like the whole plot was a bit unoriginal and that there wasn't anything significant that made the novella outshine the others in the same genre. I mean, there was nothing that made me gasp or startle or laugh. It did garner some smiles and grins from me though! This novella could really use a splash of something exotic and spicy!
The chemistry between Kinni and Price wasn't something to be marvelled at. I couldn't really feel it and I didn't understand why they got together and what made them tick together. I still don't.
The characters weren't anything surprising and original. I just...they felt like worn out pieces playing their parts as best as they could.
Overall, this was an okay, sweet read that was okay to get through but it didn't keep me gripped or fascinated or riveted. Honestly, I found it easier to put the book down than to keep reading.
Congratulations to Boone Brux on publishing the second instalment in the 'Wedding Favors' series! Hopefully, book one will be better for me!

Rating Plan
1 star : Strongly did not like the book, writing and plot was bad. Idea of the book was against my liking.
2 star : Didn't like it, didn't find it interesting or gripping. Seemed to drag on to me.
3 star : An average book. Wasn't bad or good. Everything else was well done. Original idea.
4 star : Like a 3 star but has potential to it as a series or the book grew on me as it progressed and certain scenes captured me. I Enjoyed it and read it in one sitting.
5 star : I LOVED IT! I stayed up late until 3 am. Author is a genius, characters, plot, idea, development, EVERYTHING was EXCELLENT. Nothing else can possibly be said except that its 5 STAR!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Random Acts of Marriage.

July 18, 2016 – Shelved