Judy D Collins's Reviews > Falling

Falling by Jane Green

it was ok
bookshelves: 2016-releases, audiobook, chick-lit, jane-green, womens-fiction, books-read-in-2016

Jane Green returns following Summer Secrets (2015) with her latest, FALLING a story of two people from different walks of life, and an unexpected bond with a child.

A wide range of reviews for this one. Straightaway, getting right to my feelings about this book, versus an overview. I had not planned on writing a review-not a fan of giving bad reviews; however, many of my Goodreads’ friends have asked for my brutal honest opinion. Here it goes:

Falling fell for me. I have read ten Jane Green books. This was one of the most “boring books” and literally nothing about it made any sense. Totally flat, weak, and uninteresting. Shocked, thought, "Who wrote this book?" so different than the last three.

I listened to the audiobook, narrated by the author, and could not wait until the ending. It never came together. From the storyline, plot, and the characters. The reading was so annoying and robotic, I kept shaking my head thinking, what is this? I continued listening thinking it would get better. Unfortunately, it did not.

The only part I enjoyed was the latter part, where the tragedy occurred and the character of the little boy, Jesse was front and center. I agree with several of the other reviewers--everything seemed robotic. I could not connect with any of the characters. Was never invested or hooked in any way.

Emma was the worst, and Dominic not much better. Their relationship was undeveloped, and awkward. Jesse, the son was the only one which added to the story. However, unfortunately, he could not save it in the end.

When reviewing the past books I have read by Green, my ratings have not been consistent, and range from 3-5 Stars. The first thing I noticed was the cover. Not an appealing high-end image. It did not draw me in any way. It looks cartoonish, and low end. I choose a book by the cover, and almost passed over it due to this factor; however, her last three books, I rated five stars (enjoyed them), and decided to give it a chance.

Also noticed this time around, the publisher was Berkley, not St. Martin’s Press. I could tell right away this was not a SMP cover. SMP is one of my favorite publishers. Possibly why the change (they would not sign off on this). Not sure if the new publisher, editor, or designer had any part in the book’s overall outcome; however, cannot recommend this one.

As another reviewer mentioned, I too may be outgrowing her books. I do not read a lot of women’s fiction or chick-lit anymore; too light and uninteresting for my taste, plus not a romance fan. I need substance, intrigue, and much more. When you read over 400-500 books a year, you are more selective about the books you really enjoy reading, due to time management. I do have some select authors, which I still read in this genre.

Your taste in books change over the years, the more you read. I prefer more literary, historical, domestic suspense, psychological, mysteries, thrillers, and well-written, thought-provoking books, preferring more intense, deeply complex page-turners.

Everyone has their favorite types of books. Unfortunately, Falling did not "fall" into any of these categories. Making this fit in a one–two star category, at best.

JDCMustReadBooks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling.

June 18, 2016 – Started Reading
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: womens-fiction
July 19, 2016 –
page 150
July 19, 2016 – Shelved as: books-read-in-2016

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Where's the review to the book? I'm debating on whether I should purchase it or not based on your review.

Judy D Collins Just posted it - not for me.

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Thanks for the honest review Judy. Saves me from wasting my time.

Judy D Collins Thanks, Arlene. Sad, it is like who wrote this? So different than her last three books.

message 5: by Myrna (new)

Myrna Wow, 2 stars. I don't think I have ever seen you give to stars. I guess they all can't be winners, right?

message 6: by Judy (last edited Jul 25, 2016 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Judy D Collins Myrna, True....2.5 Stars:) Usually I am pretty good about judging books I will enjoy--so my reviews are pretty consistent 3-5 stars.

Since her last three books were 5 Stars, did not anticipate a huge 360 turnaround. A shocker. When looking back to her previous books I read, there were others with a 3 star. I think a lot has to do with the publisher change. Just my opinion. Yes, you are correct, not all winners.

Melissa Great review, as always, Judy. I still can't get over my disappointment with this one. :(

Judy D Collins Melissa, Thanks. I know, puzzling.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane Perry Thank you for your honesty. I had wondered about reading this one. I keep hearing mix reviews.

message 10: by Judy (last edited Jul 25, 2016 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Judy D Collins Thanks Diane, I do not like writing negative reviews; however, you have to tell it like it really is.

message 11: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 13, 2016 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jennifer Dang, another low rating and from two reviewers I very much trust. I may have to pass on this one...