Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > Gabriel's Inferno

Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard

Where in the world in the ten star button for this book??? If a ten star read is not a thing, then it needs to be a thing fort this book. I seriously need to find that button because this is hands down one of the best books I have ever read. And I have read a lot of books people. This book was so consuming, so enrapturing in every single way possible, and just when I thought I couldn't love it more, I would end up falling more and more under its phenomenal spell and further into the depths of its literal amazingness.

This book was equal parts romance and emotion and thought provoking. It was full of feels, and depth, and then some more depth, and it told a story of forbidden love unlike any other. Woven together with eloquent writing that grasps you up in every single way possible, this book gives you the story of what happens when two people meet, and share a connection that touches their very soul. It explores how they connect, how they learn about each other, and the emotional ups and downs that come their way on their journey together. Gabriel's Inferno is a story of soul touching, feel it in the deepest depths of your heart, love, and everything that comes your way when you're exposed to and get to experience that kind of love.

This book is intense. It's all-feeling. It's raw, it's real, and you will literally feel every emotion under the sun while reading it. There will be moments with these characters that make you feel like your heart is bleeding right along with theirs. There will be other moments with these characters where you will feel like every wrong in your life, and every wrong in their life, was worth it just to get to those moments with them and everything they give you. There will be moments when you feel, when you smile, and when you blush. There will be others when your heart literally aches for what they're going through, and many will pull at all of your emotions all at once.

From the very first page of Gabriel's Inferno you will be encapsulated within the unforgettable story of Julianne and Gabriel. These two will make you feel and question and think and just experience it all, and that is only a fraction of what makes them and their story together so phenomenal in every way.

As I sit here writing this review, and as I sit here still thinking of what I experienced while reading Gabriel's Inferno, I want to do a couple of things. I want to hug that book closer to me because it was that damn good, and I know it will be one of my favorite books of all time. I also want to finish this review as quickly as possible because I can't wait to get back with Julie and Gabriel and their mesmerizing love story. I also kind of want to kick myself for waiting so long to read this series. I had always heard great things about these books, and I knew I wanted to read them, I just never got around to it. That is until I kept staring at them in my book pile and decided to finally go for it and read them....and boy am I ever glad that I did that.

From the very first page of this book I knew that this would be a story that I would love, and a story unlike any other I had read. With some of the most prolific and unique writing I have ever experienced, Gabriel's Inferno weaves together a story of forbidden romance, deep and heartfelt emotion, and two people with a world of hurt and pain in their past, and their journey to find the light together. The depth of what I felt for Gabriel and Julianne while reading this book not only put me in this book with them going through it all right alongside them, it also showed me again and again how brilliantly written this book is. Sylvain Reynard put me in every page of this book. He let me live there, he let me feel there, and he let me experience everything this story had to offer. That connected me mind, body, and soul to what I was reading, and that is honestly something I know that I will never forget.

One of my favorite aspects of this book was Sylvain Reynard's out of this world writing. That man knows how to write a book, and thoughtfully craft a story that is enrapturing, consuming on every level, and full of so many intricate and dynamic pieces and characters. His writing is something I'll never forget. Told in third person, this author allowed me to get into every character's head while reading, and while I typically prefer first person with books, the third person narrative for this story worked extremely well. It honestly made this book what it was, and it allowed a connection to this story and every character within it in a way I haven't ever experienced before. The writing of this book is in a league of its own, and I could probably go on for about 10 more paragraphs about how beautiful, all-feeling, and mesmerizing Sylvain Reynard's writing was. (I could do it too. I really could.)

I don't want to tell you much about the actual plot of this story because it is one that you should go into without any preconceived notions. It's one that you should fall into, and one that you should let win you over with everything it has to offer. That's what I did, and honestly I wouldn't have had it any other way. Now while I don't want to reveal too much, I will tell you that from the first pages of this book I was wholly consumed by what I was reading and feeling with these characters. Set mainly in the city of Toronto, this book explores what happens when a professor and student cross a whole lot of lines and start feeling things that will change them forever. Told through Sylvain Reynard's epic writing, this book shows you what it truly means to meet that one person who changes it all, that one person who makes you second guess everything you know, your past, and everything in between, and that one person who just might be the exact thing that was missing from your life.

Now I will tell you that Gabriel and Julianne's story isn't always easy. Those two can be stubborn and with as much fight as they have for what they feel, sometimes that gets them in a bit of trouble, but I am telling you that through it all you will love the two of them. You will love how far they are willing to go for one another and the possibilities of what they might share. You will love how much they feel, how much they overcome, and how being with each other forces the two of them to face some equally darkened pasts. You will love how much fight these two have, how much spirit they share, and the utterly emotional and completely breathtaking depth of what they feel for one another. What Julianne and Gabriel share is honest, its full of emotion and depth, and it is something I know I will never forget experiencing.

I feel like this story only scratched the surface of what I will get with them, and I honestly love that because even though I got so much with them in this book, I know that there is more to come and I can't freaking wait.

Now let me tell you something else about this book...Gabriel and Julianne are two characters you will LOVE. Sylvain Reynard gives you the exceptional opportunity to understand the two of them on the deepest of levels, and lets you feel one with them through every turn of the page in this book. That invests you with them, that has you falling hard and fast for what they two of them share, and that will have you rooting for them every step of the way.

Gabriel's intensity and the depth with which that man feels is something you will never forget. Julianne's balance of strength and innocence is something you will never forget. The fire these two share is something you will never forget. The painful pasts that these two characters fight with on a daily basis will have you rooting for their belief in redemption and healing, and will have you needing that right along with them. You will be with them as they struggle, as they fight, and as they try to make sense of what their sharing. You will be with them as their feelings become more, and as the beautiful, mesmerizing, and alluring dance of their feelings soon becomes more than either of them could have hoped for. You will be with them through every up and down, every moment that brings a lump of emotion to your throat, and every moment that steals your breath with all that it has.

I am telling you, this book will literally give you it all, and what you get within its pages is something amazing, something so exceptionally crafted, and something that will touch your heart and your mind and your soul in ways you never thought possible. This book will move you, and as you peel back its layers and get to know these characters, you'll soon realize you've never quite read a book as this one...and that is what makes all the difference.

I could go on for hundreds and thousands of more words about how much I loved Gabriel's Inferno. I have no doubt that this book, and this series, will become an all time favorite of mine, especially because after reading this first book, it already is. This story is beautiful, its emotional, it will touch and affect every part of you, and in the end it will give you a story of true, soul touching, shout it from the rooftops, set your heart on fire, love, and the literal amazingness that comes with it.

Sylvain Reynard blew me away in every way possible with this story, and I honestly can't say enough how extraordinary it is. This book is everything. Gabriel is everything. Julianne is everything. Their feelings for one another are everything. How far they're willing to go for each other, how much they evolve, and how much fight and fire they pour into what they share is everything. This book is everything, and I truly believe that with every part of my being right now.

Seriously, read this book. It. Is. Everything. And then some.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gabriel's Inferno.

Quotes Megan Liked

Sylvain Reynard
“Kindness is never wasted.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Sometimes goodness doesn't tell everything it knows. Sometimes goodness waits for the appropriate time and does the best it can with what it has.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Why not think that sometimes—just sometimes—you can overcome evil with silence? And let people hear their hatefulness in their own ears, without distraction. Maybe goodness is enough to expose evil for what it really is, sometimes.”

Sylvain Reynard
“You can’t do it, can you? Your skin remembers me, and so does your heart. You told them to forget, but they can’t. Remember me, Beatrice. Remember your first.”

Sylvain Reynard
“You blossom under kindness, don't you? Like a rose.”

Sylvain Reynard
“That was before I decided to bring an angel to my bed.”

Sylvain Reynard
“When I told you that I was intending to worship you with my body, I meant it. With all my heart. I will never take from you. I will only give. In my bed and outside of it.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Look at me. Look into my eyes." His eyes fixed on hers as they fluttered open.
"I'll give you anything. My body, my soul, Take them. Take everything.”

Sylvain Reynard
“She wanted more. More of him. More of this and them...she wanted to see him come apart above her and know that they had done this together.
She wanted to find their own beautiful rhythm. The music swirled and rose about them, a tempting pace she was eager to match.
She smiled, and he felt her smile travel all the way to his heart, allaying his worries.
Without breaking eye contact, he began to move in and out maddeningly slowly.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Miss Mitchell had a lovely voice, it was true, but Miss Mitchell speaking Italian was something celestial. Her ruby mouth opening and closing, the delicate way she almost sang the words, her tongue peeking out to wet her lips from time to time...Professor Emerson had to remind himself to close his mouth after it had dropped open.”

Sylvain Reynard
“When I am an old man and I can remember nothing else, I will remember this moment. The first time my eyes beheld an angel in the flesh. “I will remember your body and your eyes, your beautiful face and breasts, your curves and this.” He traced his hand around her navel before dragging it lightly to the top of her lower curls. “I will remember your scent and your touch and how it felt to love you. But most of all, I will remember how it felt to gaze at true beauty, both inside and out. For you are fair, my beloved, in soul and in body, generous of spirit and generous of heart. And I will never see anything this side of heaven more beautiful tham you”

Sylvain Reynard
“So drop the Mr. Rochester-Mr. Darcy-Heathcliff British stuck-uppity and treat her like the treasure she is”

Sylvain Reynard
“All believers are hypocrites because none of us live up to our beliefs.”

Sylvain Reynard
“For if you truly believe that kindness is never wasted, you have to hold tightly to that belief even when the kindness is thrown back in your face”

Sylvain Reynard
“Being without you, Julianne, is like enduring an endless night without stars.”

Sylvain Reynard
“I want you forever, not just for tonight.”

Sylvain Reynard
“She comforted him in his darkness and gave him hope. She seemed to cherish a sincere affection for him, despite his failings. 'She saved me'.”
tags: hope, love

Sylvain Reynard
“You, of all people, deserve a happy ending. Despite everything that happened to you, you aren't bitter. You aren't cold. You've just retreated a little and been shy, and that's okay. If I were a fairy godmother, I would give you your heart's desire in an istant. And I would wipe away your tears and tell you not to cry.

-Rachel to Julia”

Sylvain Reynard
“For the rest of my life, I'll dream of hearing your voice breathe my name.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Gabriel kissed Julia as if he knew her, as if she belonged to him. His kiss was passionate and full of emotion, as if every fiber of his being had melted and spread itself on his lips only to be given to her.”

Sylvain Reynard
“At first he didn’t recognize her. She was breathtakingly beautiful, her movements sure and graceful. Yet there was something about her face and figure that reminded him of the girl he’d fallen in love with long ago. They’d gone their separate ways, and he had always mourned her, his angel, his muse, his beloved Beatrice. Without her, his life had been lonely and small.
Now his blessedness appeared.”

“Open your eyes.”
Julia looked up into a pair of blue orbs that were startlingly clear and very emotional, but she could not decipher the emotions. He smiled and pressed his lips to her forehead again before rolling onto his back and gazing up at the stars.
“What are you thinking?” She shifted herself so that she was curled up at his side, close to but not touching him with her body.
“I was thinking about how I waited for you. I waited and waited, and you never came.” He smiled at her sadly.
“I’m sorry, Gabriel.”
“You’re here now. Apparuit iam beatitudo vestra.
“I don’t know what that means.” She sounded shy.
“It means now your blessedness appears. But really, it should be now my blessedness appears. Now that you’re here.” He pulled her closer, snaking his arm beneath her neck and down to her waist where he splayed his hand, fingers wide, at the small of her back. “For the rest of my life, I’ll dream of hearing your voice breathe my name.”

Sylvain Reynard
“I’ve always had a terrible weakness for beautiful but sad things.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Bad things happen to everyone. Not that this was an excuse or a justification for wronging another human being. Still, all humans had this shared experience — that of suffering. No human being left this world without shedding a tear, or feeling pain, or wading into the sea of sorrow.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Sometimes people, when left alone, can hear their own hatefulness for themselves. Sometimes goodness is enough to expose evil for what it really is.”

Sylvain Reynard
“I'm sorry you don't want to know me anymore. I will spend the rest of my life regretting the fact that I wasted my second chance to know you. And I will always be conscious of your absence."- Gabriel to Julia.”

Sylvain Reynard
“After all we've shared, I just want to hold you and be close. Rest in my arms and know that I love you.”

Sylvain Reynard
“I like your…outfit.” His eyes took in the naked flesh that was visible below the edge of the shirttail.
“I like your outfit too. You’re looking awfully casual this morning, Professor.”
He leaned forward and gave her a heated look. “Miss Mitchell, you’re lucky I decided to put on any clothes at all.” He chuckled at her fierce blush and disappeared into the kitchen.
Oh, gods of all virgins who are planning to have sex with their sex-god (no blasphemy intended) boyfriends, please don’t let me spontaneously combust when he finally takes me to bed. I really need a Gabriel-induced orgasm, especially after last night. Please. Please. Pretty please…”

Sylvain Reynard
“Facilis descensus Averni," he whispered, his ominous and preternatural words striking her very soul. "The descent to Hell is easy.”

Sylvain Reynard
“When everyone in the whole world believes one thing and you are the only one who believes differently, it's very tempting to assimilate”

Sylvain Reynard
“Love hath so long possess'd me for his own
And made his lordship so familiar
That he, who at first irk'd me, is now grown
Unto my heart as its best secrets are.
And thus, when he in such sore wise doth mar
My life that all its strength seems gone from it.
Mine inmost being then feels thoroughly quit
Of anguish, and all evil keeps afar.
Love also gathers to such power in me
That my sighs speak, each one a grievous thing.
Always soliciting
My Gabriel's salutation piteously.
Whenever he beholds me, it is so,
Who is more sweet than any words can show.”

Sylvain Reynard
“I’m going to be thrown out of Paradise tomorrow, Beatrice. Our only hope is that you find me afterward. Look for me in Hell.”

“My Dear Julianne,

If you wish to know how I feel about you, just ask me.

Yours,
Gabriel”

Sylvain Reynard
“Addictive personalities can latch on to anything: drugs, alcohol, sex, people…what if you become addicted to me?”

“I am already addicted to you, Beatrice. Only you’re far more dangerous than cocaine.”

Sylvain Reynard
“I found my hope when I found you.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Look at me and tell me it meant nothing to you, and I will let you go.”

Sylvain Reynard
“When a man kneels before a woman, it’s a gesture of chivalry. When a woman kneels before a man, it’s unseemly.”

Sylvain Reynard
“You could have any woman you want, Gabriel.”

He furrowed his eyebrows. “I only want you.”

Sylvain Reynard
“If I have a soul, it's yours.”

Sylvain Reynard
“How long did you want me to stay?”

“Forever.”

Sylvain Reynard
“You know, the act of feeding someone is the ultimate act of care and affection...sharing yourself with someone else through food." He held another mouthful of cake under her nose. "Think about it. We are fed in the Eucharist, by our mothers when we are infants, by our parents as children, by friends at dinner parties, by a lover when we feast on one another's bodies...and on occasion, on another's souls.”

Sylvain Reynard
“I will remember your scent and your touch and how it felt to love you. But most of all, I will remember how it felt to gaze at true beauty, both inside and out. For you are fair, my beloved, in soul and in body, generous of spirit and generous of heart. And I will never see anything this side of heaven more beautiful than you.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Then you haven't lost your soul. Only a creature with a soul can tell the difference between right and wrong. Yes, you've made mistakes, but you feel guilt. You feel remorse. And if you still have your soul, you haven't lost your chance at redemption.”

Sylvain Reynard
“We need to see with our hearts and not our eyes.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Liar. Liar. Beautiful blue eyes on fire.”

Sylvain Reynard
“Ever had a beer before?" Gabriel grinned.
She shook her head.
"Then I'm glad I'm your first."

"Have you ever held a boy's hand before?" She shook her head, and he laughed softly. "Then I'm glad I'm your first."

"Have you ever been kissed by a boy?"
She blushed deeply and shook her head.
"Then I'm glad I'm your first."

"Have you ever fallen asleep in the arms of a boy before, Beatrice?"
She shook her head.
"Then I'm glad I'm your first."

"I haven't really danced like this before," she said wistfully.
"Then I'm glad I'm your first."

"Has a man ever asked you to marry him before?"
She shook her head, covering her mouth with her hand.
"Then I'm glad I'm your first.”

July 17, 2016 – Started Reading