Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘'s Reviews > Idiot Brain: What Your Head Is Really Up To

Idiot Brain by Dean Burnett

bookshelves: non-fiction, 2016-reads

^Are you excited already?

Well, my idiot brain genuinely liked this book very much, and it's always right, isn't it? (not really). Admittedly, specialists would probably find the explanations simplistic (I extrapolate), but then, why would they read this book in the first place? Neuroscientists, this book is not for you. You think you're so clever, right? (hehe) Anyway, given that my knowledge on the subject is very limited (understand : I studied language and metacognition in teaching school, had some notions about the way our vision sucks, but that's about it), Idiot Brain: What Your Head Is Really Up To was a pleasurable and interesting book for me.

I tend to find non-fiction books hard to rate, because my usual categories do not work : there's no such thing as a world-building or characters, for example. However, even these beloved categories are never really objective - or, rather, the way I use them is necessarily subjective, because Hello, biases. Therefore it won't come as a surprise that I followed a fundamentally biased pattern to give my stars :

... Also, I have a better self-esteem now because I realized that being Cartesian (mostly, I'm still afraid of clowns and dolls, BECAUSE OF REASONS) after having been raised surrounded by superstitions and other beliefs is actually pretty great. Yay, me. I kid, I kid. Mostly.

I do know that technically, there are seven (eight) stars, but then, I never said that I was logical. The truth is, even though there were parts harder to get through, I was never bored. Now, perhaps this review is part of a great conspiracy to make you spend your money. Perhaps.

*Looks in the distance*

We'll never know...

star vector

For more of my reviews, please visit:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Idiot Brain.

July 18, 2016 – Shelved
July 23, 2016 – Started Reading
July 24, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "You mean right this second? Considering a Hot Chocolate in the middle of the (hot) summer, that's about right. NEEDS SUGAR."
July 24, 2016 –
1.0% ""Readers of the book should, I hope, come away with a better and reassuring understanding of why people (or they themselves) regularly do and say such weird things \n \n (...)\n \n And my final apology is based on the fact that a former colleague of mine once told me that I'd get a book published 'when hell freezes over'. Sorry to Satan. This must be inconvenient for you.""
July 25, 2016 –
13.0% "Hey, it's... you! From... the thing... that time\n (The mechanisms of why we remember faces before names)\n \n THAT CHAPTER INTERESTS ME VERY MUCH XD"
July 25, 2016 –
13.0% "Okay, so If I understand correctly : if you need to remember a name, stop making polite conversation and repeat the new person's name constantly. Et voilà! Now, maybe she/he won't want to interact with you after that, but oh well."
July 25, 2016 –
20.0% ""If you saw the film Memento, it's just like that. If you saw the film Memento but don't really remember it, that's not quite helpful (but is ironic).""
July 25, 2016 –
23.0% ""I'm also part of the great conspiracy of global scientists to promote the myths of climate change, evolution, vaccination and a spherical earth. After all, there's nobody on earth wealthier and more powerful than scientists, and they can't risk losing this exalted position by people finding out how the world works." \n \n XD"
July 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ Ohh! I will be glad to see your review. I was contemplating buying this for my lib's collection but the review I read in journal was just meh so I will await your thoughts!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Really enjoying so far, but I love neurosciences so XD (but I'm no specialist) And I find his voice pretty great, while most articles I read in College were so damn boring :/ We'll see how I think in the end :)

message 3: by Kimi (new) - added it

Kimi Dude, you're making me want to read this book with all these cool updates haha.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Kimi wrote: "Dude, you're making me want to read this book with all these cool updates haha."

message 5: by Kimi (new) - added it

Kimi Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Dude, you're making me want to read this book with all these cool updates haha."

I LOVE IT! I'm laughing out loud and my BF is like, what are you reading? Huh, neurosciences? XD"

Bhahahahaha he must be thinking you're losing it lol. I just bought the ebook and it's all your fault xD I'll hopefully get to it soon.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Kimi wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Dude, you're making me want to read this book with all these cool updates haha."

I LOVE IT! I'm laughing out loud and my BF is..."

YAY!!! (he's used to it XD)

Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ Oooohhhh looks like I should be buying this for my collection after all :)! Glad you liked it so much!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ wrote: "Oooohhhh looks like I should be buying this for my collection after all :)! Glad you liked it so much!"

Thank you! Yeah, it was fun but also very interesting :)

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Gordon This looks fascinating. Thanks for the review.

Aj the Ravenous Reader Sounds really good and this review is super adorable, Anna. <3

message 11: by Nastassja (new) - added it

Nastassja Ahaha, amazing review, Alienor! You definitely intrigued me with this book (my brain vigorously nods in agreement :D)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Karen wrote: "This looks fascinating. Thanks for the review."

Thank you Karen!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Sounds really good and this review is super adorable, Anna. <3"

Aw thank you AJ <3

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Nastassja wrote: "Ahaha, amazing review, Alienor! You definitely intrigued me with this book (my brain vigorously nods in agreement :D)"

YES! Mission completed :P Thank you!

message 15: by Aadivah (new) - added it

Aadivah Great review! I usually don't do non-fiction but this one sounds too good to pass up.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Thank you! I really enjoyed it :D

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ OMG WHY AM I SEEING THIS JUST NOW? SORRY!!! YES! You need this!!!!!

message 18: by Weronika (new)

Weronika Zimna I love your reviews so much. I think I'm going to read this one.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Weronika wrote: "I love your reviews so much. I think I'm going to read this one."

Aww thank you so much <3 Let me know what you think about it if you do!

Dave Paul Joseph Never seen a better one actually.

message 21: by Lucia (new) - added it

Lucia Great review. I am impressed by the effort you have out into it. You have convinced me to read this book.