Deborah Pickstone's Reviews > The Jewel of Medina

The Jewel of Medina by Sherry Jones

The subject matter was very interesting to me but I have to say that if A'isha was Muhammed's favourite wife, it didn't much show in his behaviour. She is represented as behaving with utter foolishness (in context of her time and social structure) over and over again which makes her rather unlikeable. Muhammed I was aware had been a much-married man and I am willing to believe a good deal of that was political - but a good deal was also clearly libidinousness and certainly looked hypocritical. Also, this book raises much confusion about the position of women who Mohammed is said to have improved the status of but what we actually see is him restricting them - and being very credulous to the righteous and limited views of his friends who wanted women restricted.

This was not a good picture of Mohammed as a man or as a religious leader. It appeared well-researched but I am not convinced of the writer's skills in storytelling. I had previously read The Sharp Hook of Love: A Novel of Heloise and Abelard and hated it for the angst - elements of that appeared here also, reducing my ability to relate to the characters. This was a better written book and somewhat enjoyable but I doubt, having seen a few reviews, that I will read the companion volume The Sword of Medina or indeed anything more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel of Medina.

Started Reading