Elinor Caiman Sands's Reviews > Earth Girl

Earth Girl by Janet  Edwards

This was an enjoyable book, both charming and compelling. It painted a fascinating picture of a far-future society and ruined New York.

Possibly I'd have given it 4.5 stars if I'd had the option as I found the beginning a little slow and occasionally Jarra's seeming ability to do everything did become a little grating (although late in the book the other characters tease her about this which greatly offsets this issue). But in the end I had to give it 5 stars because it's not only a great read but it's a *really good* book about disability, which is a rare thing indeed. Jarra is by no means a stereotype. She's neither a saintly waif nor a bitter and twisted sinner. She's neither helpless and tragic nor superhuman. She's just a fairly ordinary, capable and determined young woman. So the book handles the disability issue superbly well even though Jarra's "disability" wouldn't actually be a disability at all for anyone in 2016. But maybe that's the whole point. Disability is a fluid term and is as much about a society's definition of what is "normal" as a person's own limitations. I only wish there were more books like this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth Girl.

July 18, 2016 – Shelved