Vivian's Reviews > Come Back To Me

Come Back To Me by Edmond Manning

liked it
bookshelves: own, romance-contemp

Dedicated to Vin Vanbly: F**kin' Perfect by P!nk
And anyone else who's seen themselves in his mirror.

“I wanted you to see me like this. My worst. See if you’d still like me.”

Here's the thing; I love this series, but I did not love this book. Might be that I had high expectations: wishing, hoping, and waiting for Vin's story. His kinging.

The secrets are finally revealed and the truth behind many things alluded to during the series is laid out. There's ugly here, there's cruelty, and I had a hard time watching how hard earned Vin's compassion was.
I have no future because every string is wrapped so tightly around the past.

As much as I enjoyed this story, I had some issues with it. The disjointed structure was problematic. Three separate stories instead of a cohesive whole was not kinging that I was expecting. One story completely disrupted the timeline and served little purpose in advancing the story and could have been a short separate novella.

The covenant of being the insider with Vin during these stories is broken, and it's hard being on the outside wondering what's happening. If Manning was testing the reader to trust him, then I failed twice during this story. That fundamental change to the storytelling was disconcerting. Enough that I walked away from the book for a period of time.
This is the story of a nobody. Someone who probably shouldn’t even be alive.

There is a graphic quality to the erotic scenes that was not present in previous books, and if I'd never read another book in the series I wouldn't have blinked twice, but this was radically different. It is still that celebration for the human form and ability to feel in all its manifestations, but more explicit. Since Vin uses sexual congress as a form of connection, communication, and validation it shouldn't have been a surprise that his story would explore these themes more.

I love Vin; I just wish the story had been constructed differently. My recommendation for readers unfamiliar with Vin, do NOT start with this book because I don't think it will give one a sense of the series.

Overall, a MUST READ for Vin fans.

<<>>==<<>>==<<>>==<<>>==<<>>==<<>>

Buddy Read with Maya, Sofia, Don, Irish, and Jax

Dear Vin,

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come Back To Me.

July 18, 2016 – Shelved
August 23, 2016 – Started Reading
August 23, 2016 –
8.0% "“You spend your whole life being one thing, thinking of yourself in this one way. And then it’s over. Everything is different but nothing has changed.”"
August 25, 2016 –
71.0% "He said, “Not knowing someone’s king name doesn’t prevent them from being a king. A name doesn’t define you or make you something you’re not. Your king name is true, but not the truth.”"
August 26, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Sofia Perfect song choice Vivian and great review.

Vivian Sofia wrote: "Perfect song choice Vivian and great review."

Thank you Sofia. Having you to read it with made it easier and better :)

message 3: by Sofia (last edited Aug 27, 2016 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sofia Sharing is good :D

message 4: by carol (new)

carol Interesting review Vivian, what star rating would that be?

Vivian It's 3. This story has kink, too, carol.

message 6: by carol (new)

carol Cheers Vivian

LenaRibka I hear you, Vivian!