Mizuki's Reviews > 燕之塔

燕之塔 by Andrzej Sapkowski

bookshelves: fairies-related, pretty-good, supernatural-stuff, fantasy, chinese-translation

The more I read into this series, the more I have doubts with it. For example, why the people in this high fantasy 'swords & magic' world are using terms which are very similar with us modern men and women's? Why they seem to know about genetic engineering? Does this mean the humans in this world had once come from our world, somehow?

Still, aside from my doubts and the lack of explanation, I still found myself enjoying this series. The characters are still going strong whilst the political schemes plots are getting quite tiresome (too many schemes within too many different courts, I lost count). And OMG! I like the development with Ciri this time, she suffered so much and eventually, she pushed through! I wonder what will happen in the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 燕之塔.

July 18, 2016 – Shelved
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 27, 2016 – Started Reading
page 30
5.68% "So far so good."
page 88
16.67% "her friend died in front of her...poor girl."
page 194
36.74% "But why would the Emperor refuse to marry the heir of the defeated kingdom?"
page 194
36.74% "I stayed up all night to get to the ending."
December 3, 2016 –
page 258
48.86% "the MC met a girl who looked similar to Ciri."
December 3, 2016 –
page 302
57.2% "I'm a bit disappointed that active characters from the previous books hardly show up."
December 4, 2016 – Shelved as: fairies-related
December 4, 2016 – Shelved as: pretty-good
December 4, 2016 – Shelved as: supernatural-stuff
December 4, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 4, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 19, 2017 – Shelved as: chinese-translation

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex your comment that they seem to know about genetic engineering" moved the first book up from my long-list to my TBR.

Mizuki Alex G wrote: "your comment that they seem to know about genetic engineering" moved the first book up from my long-list to my TBR."

The first few books really, really worth your time, but this book........I have my doubts with it.

Kasia The modernised language might be the flaw of the translator....i assure you tge author uses archaic Polish phrases in the original version that even I, as a native speaker, have difficulties understanding.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Kasia wrote: "The modernised language might be the flaw of the translator....i assure you tge author uses archaic Polish phrases in the original version that even I, as a native speaker, have difficulties unders..."

@_@ How old is the archaic Polish that is used in the book?

Mizuki Kasia wrote: "The modernised language might be the flaw of the translator....i assure you tge author uses archaic Polish phrases in the original version that even I, as a native speaker, have difficulties unders..."

I'm glad to know the original text uses old language instead of some modernized BS, but I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that those characters seem to know genetic engineering! I hope there will be some answer in the last book.

PS: is the archaic Polish in the original text happens to be the language of the Fae in the story?

Mizuki Alex wrote: "@_@ How old is the archaic Polish that is used in the book? .."

I have no idea since I know nothing about Polish.@_@

But on a happy note, the Chinese translation for the last book has just come out!

message 7: by Pekotski (new)

Pekotski The genetic basics come from Elf's much more advanced civilization. Magicians also build up on that fundamentals - remember most of them were very dedicated to science and also very old and experienced.
Technological knowledge comes from Dwarfs and Gnomes.