Tagra's Reviews > Stealing Light

Stealing Light by Gary Gibson

Jul 17, 2016

it was ok

I feel like I should really like this book. It's a space opera with daring smugglers and firefights and alien species and mysterious technology and plenty of action, and the main character is a no-nonsense female pilot. Or... at least she should be no-nonsense but somehow a lot of nonsense keeps getting mixed in. I really try not to be feminist about these things, but I'm really put off by how frequently she's described naked, or how often her anus is mentioned. I mean... we really needed that much detail to get the point across? In chapter three I wrote a note in my book saying "Wait... is she fucking her ship now?" and a few paragraphs later it was like "Yup. She's fucking her ship." Literally fucking it. It takes human form and fucks her. Yeah.

There's a LOT of potential here, actually. The character is a "machine head" with implants in her brain that give her all sorts of (overly described and leaned upon for plot devices) tech abilities and information, but the implants are sufficiently balanced by having some significant downsides: they've previously allowed the bearers to become controlled and commit heinous crimes. The implants are actually illegal now because of the exploitation potential, but they offer huge benefits, especially to a pilot like our main character. So there are huge benefits, but not to the Mary Sue level because there are also huge risks. No one really trusts a machine head, so she's a loner who's also dealing with the traumas and consequences of the implants, and suddenly it makes a bit of sense that she might become 'involved' with her ship since that's her only companion. Right? Right??

... except every other male she encounters seems to end up fucking her too. Sigh. And, now that I think about it, I'm not sure there are any other female characters of note for her to encounter.

Yeah, I dunno.

I found the first few chapters of the book were far too heavy on exposition (laying out every detail of the technology and world without really giving me any reason to give a single shit about the characters who had all clustered together to talk about it), but the action scenes have been decent enough and I am reasonably interested enough to see what happens. I keep going despite the vague distaste I keep feeling as I plow through descriptions. I feel like this would be way up there on my list of must-reads if it weren't for this greasy feeling that the book is more self-indulgent than it needs to be for plot purposes.

The characters spend the entire book flip flopping between emotions with no logical transitions. They're badass in one paragraph, weeping and cowering in the next. Then they're yelling and screaming at each other, and fucking in the next. It's disjointed and the poor writing doesn't do it any favours, with lots of perspective shifts and occasional lapses in tense. But despite all that, the second half of the book was decent, despite a very awkward sex scene that is initiated by the dialogue "I can tell by the way you have your hand on my dick." They were almost in the midst of growing as characters before they did that, too. Alas.

Give this to a ruthless editor who can cut all the bullshit out of it, and hand it off to an effects team, and I bet it would make a really decent (but probably cheesy) movie. As a book, it's pretty meh, although I am sufficiently curious to see how the plot wraps up across sequels. Curious enough to put up with more random sex and forced descriptions of nudity? Eeeehhh, maybe later.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stealing Light.

July 17, 2016 – Started Reading
July 17, 2016 – Shelved
July 17, 2016 –
page 75
18.75% "Chapter one through three: "This is a huge exposition dump with absolutely no prep."\n Chapter four: "Is she fucking her ship?? ... Yes, she is fucking her ship."\n Chapter five: "More exposition dumping except now it's with a new character that I don't give a single solitary shit about, yet."\n I am trying SO HARD not to skim. Augh."
August 1, 2016 –
69.0% "The two main characters share knowledge and try to figure out their situation, resulting in some promising character development. Her people do not get along with his people, so she says 'I really hate your people, you know that right?' and he says 'I can tell by the way you have your hand on my dick.' And then they tear off their clothes and fuck. What the fuck just happened? And WHY did it happen??"
August 2, 2016 – Finished Reading