Eric's Reviews > Trekonomics: The Economics of Star Trek

Trekonomics by Manu Saadia

liked it

As a long-time Star Trek fan who has a bit of interest in economics, I thought this was an interesting read. I wish that the author had spent a bit more time developing how a society would actually get to the point of not using money for anything. The part about the replicator making the cost of most goods drop to zero makes sense, but what about everything else? There are only so many seats at fancy restaurants or music concerts, only so many penthouse apartments, etc. These are things that we currently use money to allocate, and I didn't think the book did a good enough job fleshing out what the alternative would be. Do people just voluntarily limit their demand for these things, or is there some sort of rationing system involved? Money seems like a useful tool to use for trade in luxury goods even in a post-scarcity economy, and the book didn't seem to put forward an alternative that seems more convenient.

That issue aside, I really enjoyed the book. Taking a look at various aspects of Star Trek from the angle of economics was quite neat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trekonomics.

Started Reading