Trina (Between Chapters)'s Reviews > Heroine

Heroine by Mindy McGinnis

bookshelves: 2019, contemporary, standalones, young-adult

4/14/19 - Upped my rating to 5 stars (from 4) because of how much this has stuck with me in the months since I read it. It's completely informed my perception of addiction portrayal in everything I've read since, and so far it's standing out as a favorite of the year.
------------------------------

This was uncomfortable to read and I hated what was happening at times, but I have been discussing this book with people I know who with addiction recovery, which has really helped me process my feelings and form a deep respect for this book. It portrays addiction and withdrawal brutally, but without reducing the character to a stereotype. I believe the intent is to humanize people with substance use disorders to people unfamiliar with addiction.

Aside from how it handles the topic, I also really enjoyed the flow of the writing. I've read all of Mindy's books and while this isn't my favorite story, this has my favorite writing of her 3 contemporaries so far. It's easy to read and Mickey is a well developed character and you can really empathize with her hopes and worries.

tw: The book starts with this warning: "This book contains realistic depictions of opioid use. Recovered and recovering addicts should proceed with caution." PLEASE heed this warning. There is detailed use of pills, snorting, and needles. The drugs shown are Oxy and heroin. There is a car accident, injury, and brief hospitalization. There is also quite a bit of page time given to discussing poop, which felt appropriate due to the portrayal of withdrawal, but I know that's a squeamish thing for some.

*An ARC was provided to me by the publisher. My opinions are my own.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroine.

July 17, 2016 – Shelved
July 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 8, 2018 – Started Reading
January 7, 2019 –
page 100
23.15% "Yes, I am still reading this! It's really good so far."
January 21, 2019 –
page 250
57.87% "With the addiction being described from a first-person POV, Mickey does make it sound "appealing" up to this point in the story because that's where her mindset is. This could definitely be triggering. Mindy's writing and characterization is really engaging though. Whenever I pick this up I fly through it."
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: standalones
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Skye (new)

Skye Kilaen Helpful review, thank you.