Mick Kelly's Reviews > Oath of Fealty

Oath of Fealty by Larry Niven

liked it

Is this Science Fiction? The (kindle) edition I bought shows some kind of rocket driven aircraft circling a futuristic landscape and it is in the Science Fiction section. But when I gave up reading (28%) it just seemed to be about the running of a monster office block. Ok it's really a monster but the comings and goings of the big cast of characters seemed to be mostly about office politics and city politics (Los Angeles to be precise). Not my sort of thing. I wouldn't give it a negative review - many people seem to like it, but the characters seem to be drawn from a management training manual and the attitudes of the authors to race and gender politics are from the 1950s (maybe a bit later).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oath of Fealty.

Started Reading
July 14, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 17, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Angie Boyter It is science fiction in the mode of what Asimov was referring to when he put out a book called Earth is Room Enough. Yes, there are no rocket ships, but the SFness comes from the concept of the arcology, a self-contained high-density community that COULD be a possible future as our planet fills up. The novel explores the ramifications of such a way of living and also the friction between it and a traditional urban area adjacent to it. We may or may not like the book, but it is SF.

Mick Kelly Angie wrote: "It is science fiction in the mode of what Asimov was referring to when he put out a book called Earth is Room Enough. Yes, there are no rocket ships, but the SFness comes from the concept of the ar..."

True. I'm wrong to disagree with the authors' own assessment that it is SF. Mind you, nothing dates as rapidly as Science Fiction. I've just been reading a lot of 1940s / 50s / 60s S.F. and some of it is hilarious - but a lot of it is still good.

Angie Boyter Well, remember the sage remark that is is hard to make predictions, especially about the future. The classic SF writers generally thought we would move a lot faster into space and a lot slower into personal computing and similar technological advances. But, as you say, a lot of it is still good fun.