Red Lace Reviews's Reviews > Cursed

Cursed by David Wellington

May 21, 2011

bookshelves: david-wellington, favourites, werewolves-shifters-skinwalkers, fantasy-urban, loved-heroine
Recommended for: urban fantasy fans

Top Read 2011

Cheyenne is a dedicated woman and she has a job to do, but when she is scratched by the very thing that has haunted her since she was twelve years old, she now becomes that very monster. Her life drastically changes and her survival is at risk. The choices she has to make will determine what kind of future she will have. Nobody can help her decide; her thoughts have to battle themselves before she can make one final choice. Will she join the beast that ruined her life all those years ago, or will she lift that gun, the one with the silver bullet...

(Please be aware that this review may contain spoilers before reading further.)

I loved this book. Unlike other urban fantasy, it centres on one woman’s survival without the silly things in-between; such as random sex scenes or the boring, stupid actions of a dumb heroine. This is not a romance book, nor is there any romance in it, but it really didn't matter.

Cheyenne goes through so much, physically and emotionally, but she never gives up. She is one amazing woman and I really can’t say anything bad about her. She does what she needs to and never disappoints. Just if all female leads were like that...

The other characters were well written; Powell coming off as lonely and an old soul and Dzo... well Dzo peeked my curiosity. I liked him. Very mysterious indeed. I can’t say I liked Bobby much, his hair actually made me cringe.

There is quite a bit of back story, explaining both Chey’s and Powell’s past. I found it very interesting even though it strayed from the main story. I didn't get bored at all; in fact I wanted to read it, which surprised me. Usually back tracking over past events bores me to the point I want to skip ahead.

The setting in this book was simply beautiful. David Wellington describes things so well and being a wannabe writer, I really appreciated the detail and it gave me motivation to try and get that standard of stunning atmosphere writing. The Arctic, whilst beautiful, is just as deadly, and we get to see the hell Chey has to endure. In fact, when walking my dog through the woods just the other day, I found myself thinking what it would be like to be Chey. Of course there was no snow, but nevertheless, the pine needles sent my mind racing.

I usually like the change from human to wolf as painful as possible. I preferred the get-down-on-all-fours-with-bones-shifting-and-fur-sprouting and not the easy way. I remember watching the movie Blood and Chocolate and hating the simple flash of light and BOOM, wolf. While I still prefer the horror way, I accepted the magical way in this book. It was a curse after all, tied completely to the moon.

The wolf and human as separate beings is more enjoyable than them being the same. They are two halves of a whole, the wolf hating humanity with its very core. This was a great touch.

A great adventure in my opinion. It was refreshing. I can’t wait to read the next one. While this is classed primarily as 'horror', I wouldn't call it so.