Nicole's Reviews > The Dead of Haggard Hall

The Dead of Haggard Hall by Marie Treanor

Jul 16, 2016

This was so much fun and different from other things I've read. I've not read many books involving ghosts, and the few that I have were definitely not of this caliber. The story was one that gets inside you and makes you question the bumps in the night.

Barbara is a medium who is cast out of her post as a teacher because of an encounter with a spirit. She normally can block out those wishing to possess her, but if she isn't careful, one will sneak in. She takes a job as a companion for a former student, who has a small agenda for inviting her to their family home. She has issues with some lingering ghosts, and she wishes for Barbara to seek answers and make sure they are safe. Barbara, while trying to do her job, is inexplicably attracted to Patrick, a sceptic and possibly dangerous man.

What I thoroughly enjoyed was the explanations of the different things Barbara could feel, and I found I could feel the emotions along with her. I felt like I was learning things about the spirit world as she was providing her explanations. If the author is not a medium herself, she must have done some excellent research to capture the feelings and the descriptions of a possession (for lack of better word). Also, the emotions definitely ran high, and my heart was pounding right along with the characters. Our leading man, Patrick, was a mystery throughout, yet my heart ached for his pain at losing his wife. There were times when I was in tears over the agony.
If you like historical romance, and enjoy when there is a twist of something else, I'd recommend trying this book. The blending of spirits with historical romance made this highly entertaining for me and I couldn't put it down. I received a copy of this story in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead of Haggard Hall.

July 16, 2016 – Started Reading