Emily May's Reviews > Fever Moon: The Fear Dorcha

Fever Moon by David    Lawrence

bookshelves: graphic-novels, paranormal-uf, 2012
Recommended for: Fever fans!

This review contains some spoilers for the Fever series

If you haven't already read the Fever series - perhaps you are thinking of trying this out as a sample before reading - I would highly doubt you'll get much from this apart from a bunch of series spoilers. This could work as a standalone story but I think part of it's charm and part of the reader's ability to care is based on the assumption that you already know and love these characters. Seeing as this describes me perfectly, I enjoyed this little mini addition to the story a lot.

It took me a while to be certain exactly when this is set but it turns out it's somewhere in the middle of Shadowfever. I'd actually forgotten about this but Mac has already met the Fear Dorcha in Ryodan's bar, he was the strange Unseelie creature without a face who made Mac feel like her mind was being drained before he was told to leave her alone. He's a creepy little bugger, that's for sure, and he brings with him some interesting new Seelie mythology to add to the mix.

You know, I used to think that comics/graphic novels were so breasty because they were mostly read by teenage boys, but seeing as this is predominantly one for the ladies and Mac is still like a walking mammary gland, I can only assume that there is some rule in the graphic novel publishing world that prohibits normal-looking boobs. Strange. At least they got the t-shirt spot on:

Even though Mac and Barrons weren't quite how I pictured them, it was great to see two of my favourite characters again. Plus, one thing they did do completely right was the loaded banter between the two of them. This story is set after the Unseelie rape and Barrons has, ahem, come to the rescue, but it's also set before the end of Shadowfever so the tension between them is still running high and Barrons doesn't miss the opportunity to extract Velvet's name from Mac's tongue his own way:

So, probably not one for newbies, but it should certainly satisfy existing fans' cravings a little until Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Moon.

May 21, 2011 – Shelved
July 11, 2012 – Started Reading
July 11, 2012 –
page 15
8.15% "Well... Barrons has turned Asian and Mac's boobs are like boulders - but hell, it's good to be back in this world :D"
July 11, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Dominika Mine will be there soon♥♥♥ I'm so excited! Miss it so much I might re-read it again..

Emily May I'm planning on reading the series again in time for Iced coming out, which is a big thing for me because I don't do re-reads too often :)

message 3: by Kyle (new)

Kyle LOL, I STILL have to finish Shadowfever! I stopped around 100 pages in, don't know why since I loved it.

message 4: by Tatiana (last edited Jul 11, 2012 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana So no X-rated schmexing? @.@ Darn it!

P.S. Did you mean Vlane? Or there is some new character Velvet with the same tongue abilities?

message 5: by Kelli (last edited Jul 11, 2012 05:31PM) (new)

Kelli I seriously can't wait to step back into the world of Fever. Great review, Emily! And I have the same question as Tatiana. Is Velvet a new character?

Emily May It's strange. He's definitely not V'lane but Mac was talking like we should know him... he's a Seelie prince, apparently. I thought I'd just forgotten him with the passage of time but I doubt we all did. Weird.

@Tatiana We get a flashback moment of Dreamfever sex, but that's all unfortunately.

Tatiana There were some Seelies in Shadowfever, but I read that book only once, so that name might have just not sunk in...

Emily May That's what I thought. Hmm, must re-read soon :)

message 9: by Keri (new) - added it

Keri I'm so glad you liked it. I haven't bought it yet, but I was worried about how the characters would look (because how could they pluck the images out of my mind, right?) Now, that you've posted some pictures, I see that it won't bother me because they are so comic-book like that it doesn't offend me. Does that make sense? Thanks for the review. I, too am going to re-read the entire series before Iced comes out. I've never re-read an entire series before, but I love those books so much I think I will just discover new things about them. :)

message 10: by Dominika (last edited Jul 11, 2012 09:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dominika Read it twice and can't remember any Velvet, either... (btw, that's the first book I've ever re-read, I think)
Either way, great review! I'm even more excited now!

message 11: by Maya (new)

Maya You know, I used to think that comics/graphic novels were so breasty because they were mostly read by teenage boys, but seeing as this is predominantly one for the ladies and Mac is still like a walking mammary gland, I can only assume that there is some rule in the graphic novel publishing world that prohibits normal-looking boobs. Strange.

No, I think you're not wrong at all. The intended audience is important, but it also depends on the artist. If the artist is male, the women are more likely to look like, well, like Mac does here. If you read some comics (f.ex. Magic Knight Rayearth I) by women for women they have pretty different bodies.
Not only is Al Rio male, but I suppose his other works are mostly aimed at men.

Jasprit Oh I need a Barrons fix asap, so I'm glad this will help fill the void until Iced is out! :)

Marissa I really enjoyed this! I was so interested in learning more about the fear dorcha after shadowfever - so it was great to learn his backstory... I didn't realize he was such an evil character - he seemed as if he was trying to help Mac a bit in the book.. but maybe he was just trying to help his old friend, the UK

message 14: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Velvet was in Shadowfever. He was a Seelie - remember near the end where the king tells him to "shut it"about not having a queen, right before he takes his concubine back with him? He was also there when the Seelie almost went head on with Derroc. But he wasnt significant, so I am going to need to read this little addition.