Lea's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

May 21, 2011

bookshelves: hott-as-hell-guy-character, paranormal-romance, drama, snarky, vampires
Read from August 03 to 05, 2011

Wow. Now this was one sexy, exciting, and suspenseful book! Hmmm... what did I like most about it? The sizzling hott characters? The completely addicting story line? The irresistible drama? I can't decide! Vampire Academy was pretty much just one big guilty pleasure from beginning to end.

Rose Hathaway was an awesome main character-- snarky and funny, she definitely added humor to the story, and it was interesting to read from her point of view. (After all there's nothing worse than having to read from the POV of a boring character!) I also loved Rose's loyalty to Lissa. Yes, she's her guardian, so it makes sense that she's protective, but they're also best friends, and you could tell that Rose genuinely cared about Lissa and worried about her self-destructive tendencies.

Speaking of, Lissa was another great main character-- she kept the story interesting because she was so unpredictable. First she was very kind, loving and sweet, but then she also had this very dark, scary, out-of-control side to her-- these two warring sides made Lissa a complex character who you want to read and learn more about.

OK, and can we spend a small moment here talking about Dmitri?? **swoon!** I mean girls, like-- whoa, talk about hottest book character EVER, I totally have the biggest book crush on this guy lol. He's Russian, he's apparently got an amazing body, he's sensitive, aaaaand he kills evil vampires for a living-- what's not to love? Yep, definitely looking forward to reading-- and gushing-- more about Dmitri in the future! ;)

So my only one small complaint about this book was all the typos in it. I know, I know this has nothing to do with the actual story and is more about final editing and all, but I just find it to be so distracting, I literally stopped at one point to have a small internal rant about why someone didn't proofread before publishing! This just bothers me to no end. One or two typos, not a big deal, but having over a dozen blatant typos in one book, that just seems sloppy. OK, I'm done with that rant, we can continue.

Vampire Academy really was one of those books you can just eat up, fly through in a couple sittings, and be ready for more when you get to the end. Everyone told me I had to read this book, and I'm so glad I did! It had everything you could ask for-- characters you care about, romance, suspense, humor, and twists at the end. This is a series I will definitely be continuing in the future!

Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

08/03 page 117
08/06 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Pixie 1. You haven't met Adrian yet. *wink wink, nudge nudge*
I can't wait until you read this ENTIRE series so I can be all fan-girly with you. Lol. :P I love Dimitri, too. <3
2. About the typos: I noticed that, too.. but I don't think you will see them anymore in the other installments. I don't know what happened with the first book really. o.O I guess editing/proofreading did go just a bit haywire there. *shrugs*
And last but not least:
Soooo glad you enjoyed! This is one of my all-time favorite series. Haha. Great review! :) Happy reading when you continue with the rest!

message 2: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea Yes I definitely enjoyed it, thank you, and I am looking forward to the rest of the series! Getting on that really soon lol :D

Marla I just finished the book this morning. The typos annoyed me too. I am also a Dimitri fan!