All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > City of Wolves

City of Wolves by Willow Palecek

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kate

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

CITY OF WOLVES is an enjoyable novella. I loved the main character, the sense of humor, and the world building, but I felt there were some aspects that were unnecessary and distracting, something which is all the more obvious in a novella length piece, where every word counts.

CITY OF WOLVES is described by Tor.com as "gaslamp, fantasy noir" and it definitely fits those genres.The world that Alexander Drake inhabits in CITY OF WOLVES comes off as rather dark and dingy. Drake is an excellent narrator, and the whole thing reads a bit as a hardboiled detective novel would. Except with werewolves!

There was one major scene that was a bit out of place for me though. It introduced a character who didn't actually appear to move the plot along, and instead I was left a bit confused as to why the scene was included. Especially because to me, the ending felt a bit rushed.

CITY OF WOLVES introduced me to a new, interesting world, and Alexander Drake is definitely a character I would be interested in reading more about. However, CITY OF WOLVES makes an excellent stand alone novella, and is a nice, short, entertaining read.

Sexual content: N/A

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Wolves.

Finished Reading