Carol Ann's Reviews > The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons

The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons by John Wesley Powell

Jul 15, 2016

bookshelves: 2016-extreme-book-nerd-challenge, favorites

I listened to the audio book narrated by Andre Stojka. To be honest, I expected it to be a reading of dull, dry scientific notes pulled from John Wesley Powell's log book. But instead I found it to be an absolutely enthralling experience. This may have been a result of the wonderful narrator whose voice was jovial and pleasant and as of full enthusiasm as though the words were his own. And the words! John Wesley Powell paints spectacular word pictures of the landscape, the geology, the dangers, the hardships and the joys that he and his men encountered on the expedition as well descriptions of Indian cultures, social dynamics of the clans, and re-tellings of a few Indian fables. At times I felt as though I could be sitting 'round the fire with him, completely captivated as he recounted the colorful tales of his grand adventures (and he with only one arm!). Highly, highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons.

July 15, 2016 – Shelved