Christina (Ensconced in Lit)'s Reviews > The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase

After blazing through and loving Results May Vary, I immediately went and picked up Chase's first book. I was not disappointed.

The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase stars Sarina, who is a fiercely intelligent and driven architect (by the way, this was one of my favorite parts of the novel), and is almost engaged to a wonderful man, Noah. But an old flame from the past, Eamon, reappears when Noah is gone on a long extended business trip, and Sarina starts to realize that perhaps her perfect relationship is not so perfect after all.

The writing I grew to love in Results May Vary is great here as well. And Sarina is a terrific, strong protagonist just like her counterpart Caroline. Eamon is smoking hot, and Noah is the sad, third wheel who is kind, but rather boring. I absolutely loved the fact Sarina was an architect and that she was driven to build a business for herself. She was obviously talented, and I loved the descriptions of how she designed her projects. There was one particular part of the book, which was my favorite, where she takes a random trip and it really changes things for her. I enjoyed reading about her and Eamon together, they were a sizzling couple from start to finish, and Danny and her stepfather John among others were entertaining secondary characters. Also, this book hit a very personal note, which made it that more poignant to me. Before I met my husband, I was in a relationship with a guy who told me after years of dating that he wanted a wife who didn't have a career and would stay at home with the kids. It was clear I was not that woman, and maybe it was in the heat of the moment, but I was devastated. It's difficult already in this cultural climate to have a career as a woman, but to have someone so close to me tell me something like that really rocked my world. So I could completely empathize and understand what Sarina was going through. And ultimately, I couldn't stop reading this book and read it in one sitting just like Results May Vary.

A couple of personal issues (MINOR SPOILER ALERT): I don't like to read about people that think about cheating or cheat, and regardless of the circumstances, I'm not thrilled about it. I would especially think someone in their 30s to get a clue and realize there is something wrong with the relationship she is currently in if she can only think about another guy (but then again this is probably realistic thinking about the affair/divorce statistics). That said, Chase makes it a bit more palatable the way it all turns out in the end but I wish it were more of a conscious decision. I'm also not thrilled how Eamon totally pursues her even though she's practically engaged. That seems like a huge red flag for me, especially when Sarina very accurately points out that he likes to win and is a major competitor.

Overall, a fast read with a fun, flirty and sizzling romance, but even more, a wonderful woman power book in which a talented, driven woman can succeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One That Got Away.

July 15, 2016 – Started Reading