Karen's Reviews > Princess Zaara and the Enchanted Forest

Princess Zaara and the Enchanted Forest by Umbreen Asghar

May 21, 2011

When I first got this book I let my son have a look at it on his own first and he oo’d and ahhh’d over the beautiful illustrations for quite a long time, each page getting careful scrutiny. “Mummy, it’s beautiful!” where his first words after receiving it. Then we settled down for some magical story-time.

The first read through we did went rather slowly as there were quite a few words he hadn’t come across before and it took me a while to explain their meaning. At first I thought he wasn’t enjoying it so much as he had such a frown on his face, but when asked he said, ‘Don’t stop Mummy, I’m just concentrating’.

Since that first day we have read this book maybe 4 or 5 times and he still loves the story and has specifically requested it at bedtime on a couple of occasions. He acts out some bits of it as I’m reading and he’s even had a go at reading some of the smaller words himself. In fact when I went to find the book this morning so that I could give it a re-read myself before writing this review, I couldn’t find it anywhere. It eventually turned up in his bed as he’d obviously been looking at it again himself last night.

R had some favourite characters - Princess Zaara “she’s so pretty!” and the little fairy Tiffany-Annabel “because she throws magic dust around and makes magic happen”. He wasn’t so keen on Banji and I could see why. Although the character in the book was funny, the pictures of him where a little scary. It was the eyes. You might just be able to see him in the trees on the book cover – like a teddy bear.

His favourite part of the story was when Tiffany-Annabel arrives and magically makes all the flowers looks bright and pretty. He also thought it was hilarious when the nasty man made one of the characters bark like a dog.

From my adult point of view, I really enjoyed reading this story to him. It is well illustrated and the pictures are colourful and pretty. With a fairytale Princess, a fairy, a giant and other magical creatures, this is definitely a book any little girl would love. I do also think it’s suitable for boys in the younger age range, maybe up to about 5 or 6 because most of the other characters, including the baddie are male and R certainly enjoyed it.

Princess Zaara and the Enchanted Forest is a childrens books aimed at 4-8 year olds, with an independent reading age of 7-8.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess Zaara and the Enchanted Forest.

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita What a great review for a children's book Karen!!!

Even though my son is 11 years old he still enjoys picture books as much as I do. I think that we'll share this book together as one of our "fun" reads.

Great review!!!

Karen It was a really a cute read Juanita. Hope you enjoy it.