Misty's Reviews > Carrier of the Mark

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

I feel bad about what I'm about to do.  Honestly. I'm not one of those people who just writes snarky, mean-spirited reviews, just for the sheer black-hearted, puppy-kicking glee of it.  As tempting as that sometimes it, I just am not that reviewer (generally).  I like puppies.  And Leigh Fallon seems like a really nice person, and  I had high hopes for this book.  And everything I'm about to say makes me feel like a bully, but no.  Just - no.

I knew almost immediately that I was not going to like this book.  You may be asking yourself, then, why the hell I kept reading.  Generally, I would not.  But there were a few reasons in this case:
1. When it's a book I requested, and it's for an event like this, then I absolutely will make myself finish.
2. I was curious enough and it was a quick enough read that I was willing to give it a chance - and then at a certain point, when you get so far, you just can't back down.
But mostly 3. I kept noticing these little things (that added up to one very big thing) that were driving me out of my mind, so I had to finish it just to see how many I would come across.  (The little things are spoilery and rant-like, and OHMYGOD I could go on about them forever, but instead they comprise a chart at the bottom.  Read at your own discretion)

Beyond the one-very-big-thing-comprised-of-little-things, I never connected with the writing in this.  The characters speak like they're in an after-school special.  It was strange: by turns formulaic, other times robotic, and often just not natural.  They were caricatures rather than characters, and they crossed the line into cheesy one too many times for my liking.  It was all these stupid, seemingly insignificant things (for example: people don't generally say each other's names a lot in conversations.  If someone were to speak to you like this: "Hey, Mary. What are you doing later today, Mary?  I was thinking, Mary, that maybe we could go to the mall - what do you think, Mary?" you would be like, WHY THE F*CK DO YOU KEEP SAYING MY NAME?!  It's weird. It's uncomfortable.  And it makes it seem like the characters aren't well acquainted, like they aren't comfortable enough with each other to just talk.

Sort of in-line with that, the characters have a tendency toward woodenness.  Megan's dad is ridiculous, as cardboard and saccharine as they come.  There's never any tension or discover with any of the characters because they are all basically what they enter the story as, and what you are expecting them to be.  Rian is the only one who changes(ish), but the rest pretty much leave the story as they entered it.

And I think this is emblematic of the problems with the book as a whole: there isn't enough depth and tension. There's an immaturity to the writing that deprives the story of tension, of struggle, of that key element that makes you sit on the edge of your seat.  Instead, everything is obvious and the reader is hit over the head with it.  But worse, everything comes so easy.  Megan accepts what she is too easily, she transitions into the deRis family too easily, she and Adam fall in love too easily, become comfortable with each other and the situation to easily - everything just happens and it's not really built on any kind of foundation other than "I say so".  The monk and the bird and the rumors and the OBVIOUSNESS of it all, and the suddenness and the easy acceptance - the way is cleared time and time again for things to just happen and as a result all chances at the delicious tension readers crave is killed.  There's never very much of a struggle on Megan's part to understand* or accept this whole new way of thinking about the world and herself.  It's frustrating.

The only thing I can really say in its favor is that it did actually start to pick up at one point.  The only thing is...that was 200 pages in. And for a review, I'll stick with it, but for pleasure, you are NEVER going to get 200+ pages out of me before I can call it enjoyable. That book will be put down (like a rabid dog).

*And on the note of "understanding", I do have to make a mention of the times when understanding does not come easily to Megan.  There are times - huge swathes of the story - when Megan's intellect and powers of comprehension seemingly revert to that of a 4 year old.  Every time one of the deRis' begin to tell her of the history of the Marked and all that jazz, she peppers them with "why"s and "what about"s and "I don't understand"s and "but"s - and it's all a sneaky little set-up for Fallon to do massive amounts of info-dumping in the guise of dialogue.  I mean, paragraph upon paragraph, page upon page of convoluted, over-sharing info-dumps, with set-ups you can see coming a mile away.  All for the sake of trying to explain what is a fairly strained mythology and backstory.  It just - no.
Just no.

And now:
The Little Things: aka The Carrier of the Twilight Mark by Leighmeyer Stephallon;
or, The Tale of an Epic Rip-Off
(unless Misty is just hyper-aware of these things...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrier of the Mark.

May 20, 2011 – Shelved
May 20, 2011 – Shelved as: juvenile-ya
May 20, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011-debuts__elevensies
May 20, 2011 – Shelved as: supernatural-paranormal
May 20, 2011 – Shelved as: cover-appeal
September 23, 2011 – Started Reading
September 24, 2011 –
page 82
23.98% "I don't know about this, guys... I feel like I should put this down or I might end up getting kinda mean. But it's a review book, and I do want to see what's going to happen. ...But I have notes... ...and a chart..."
September 24, 2011 –
page 105
30.7% "So. Many. Pet peeves!"
September 25, 2011 –
page 165
48.25% "I just...I'm putting this on hold for a few days. I just can't right now."
September 27, 2011 –
page 171
50.0% "I am THIS CLOSE to throwing this book. The only thing that has me hanging on is the curiosity to see how many things I can add to my chart (to be revealed...)"
September 28, 2011 – Finished Reading
September 30, 2011 – Shelved as: disappointing-or-excited-for-nothin
September 30, 2011 – Shelved as: read-in-2011
January 6, 2014 – Shelved as: rant
February 6, 2014 – Shelved as: debut

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, do tell. I have been desiring this one for awhile but yet I wonder if it's something I'd like.

Mandy at Blythes & Books I wanna know too! Some reviews tell that she's very good at describing, others says the characters do nothing but talk... It seemed nice, but...???

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The plot did seem a little unoriginal. I mean drawn to dark handsome boys and fates sealed long ago doesn't really spark my interest so much as it used to.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky Shame... the cover is so pretty.

message 5: by Gofita (new)

Gofita Damn! I had high hopes for this one. Thank you, Misty, for reading it so I don't have to! Love the Twilight comparison;)

message 6: by Tiff (new)

Tiff Wow. I was looking forward to this book, but I don't think I'll be able to even make it to page 200 and something.

Misty =D

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 1 star

Sue Wow. The similarities are shocking. Thanks for sharing.

Niki I have read 1/3 of the book and I am almost at the spot I will stop reading...

Especially because it's like Twilight retell...Nah...and everything is happening so fast - being best friends, being love, seeing the guy for the first time and everything...agrrrh

message 10: by Niki (new) - rated it 2 stars

Niki And I hate it when guy acts like Edward...it's disturbing... I think I will just stop reading it...

message 11: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Yeah, it was probably about 1/3 of the way when I started thinking seriously about putting it down. It was obvious by that point that it just was what it was.

Taschima Duuude this book seems to have NO ORIGINAL CONTENT! (I am in page 110). I like the main girl, but it's SO LIKE TWILIGHT that it's just sick!

message 13: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Yeppers!

message 14: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Delacroix HAHAHA! gr8 comparison!

message 15: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Thanks. :)

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna haha that twilight comparison chart is hilarious. I think they SHOULD have a freakish baby. Why are so many books replicas of Twilight???!!

message 17: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Because they sell.

message 18: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Delacroix you seem to have all the answers misty. can you tell my WHY they sell? its such a load of BULLSHIT the twilight crap! and i was looking forward to reading COTM...

message 19: by Misty (last edited Oct 22, 2011 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty As far as I can tell, they sell because everyone would rather go with something that's been done (ie is safe) than something new. Twilight's been done and it worked - big time - so publishers are looking for the "next Twilight" just like they were looking for the "next Harry Potter" after HP came out.
That's why there's so much dystopia coming out right now - the next Hunger Games...

message 20: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Delacroix i gootta say, i do like the whole "the next hunger games and harry potter" thing i cant get enough of it, but twilight is cheap.

vote on this poll. i voted for guy and girl meet and fall in love instantly (twilight crap)

message 21: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Fantastic & hilarious review. Thanks for saving me from this one.

message 22: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Haha, thanks! ;)

message 23: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Actually, I consider myself a pretty open-minded person.
And the similarities to Twilight (and there is no denying they are there) was something that really irritated me, but actually made up a fairly small part of my review - my main negatives were with the writing and characterization.
So still, 1 star across the board.

message 24: by Kat (last edited Oct 18, 2011 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat gauntt ps. at te top you said almost imediatly you knew you wouldent like this book so you wernt open minded becuase you already thought it was going to be bad and didnt give it a chance . goodbye

message 25: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty I'm going to go against everything in me that wants to correct your grammar and spelling, and just answer to the actual issue at hand:
1. There is no "author's wall". This is a website for reviewing, and that's exactly what I did.
2. All artists of any kind have been and forever will be critiqued. That's the nature of the game. Rude has nothing to do with it. In fact, I even apologized for the fact that I was writing a negative review, which I didn't have to do.
3. If something is derivative or poorly written, I damn well will say so, and have every right to, just as you have every right to go gush about it in your own review.
4. Never giving negative feedback does not help anyone to grow. If you just "keep it to yourself" you not only limit yourself and your freedoms (essentially censoring yourself, which, no.), but you also aren't doing the author or the industry any favors.

And that, I think, is all that needs to be said. If you don't agree, we're clearly not going to see eye to eye, so feel free to move along.

message 26: by Misty (last edited Oct 18, 2011 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Kat wrote: "ps. at te top you said almost imediatly you knew you wouldent like this book so you wernt open minded becuase you already thought it was going to be bad and didnt give it a chance . goodbye"

I also stated why I continued reading it: it was for review, and review it I would. Not to mention, doesn't continuing to read it mean I was being open-minded? I didn't give up, I gave it a chance.

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky Whoa... I think that is quite possibly the longest run-on sentence I've ever seen. O_o

message 28: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Kat, I'm afraid you're either going to have to change your name or stop trolling because this simply will not do!

message 29: by B (new) - added it

B Kat, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Yes, you liked it. But Misty didn't, it's not like you wrote the book, so live with it and move on.

message 30: by B (new) - added it

B And please, learn how to spell correctly

message 31: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Kat wrote: "Kat, I'm afraid you're either going to have to change your name or stop trolling because this simply will not do!"

I KNOW! It was so disconcerting to see "Kat left a comment on your review" and then click over to this.

message 32: by B (new) - added it

B If you called what I wrote "snapping at you", that's a serious problem... And I never said you were not entitled to your opinion. I respected your opinion on the book. It's how you didn't respect her opinion that ticked me off a bit. It's no big deal that I said you should respect another readers opinion.

message 33: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty *searches for like button*

message 34: by B (new) - added it

B And, you just said to "kiss it", which in my book is loads ruder than anything else that has been written by me, or anyone else, for that matter on here.

message 35: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat gauntt i do respect her opinion i just said she could try
and i only said kiss it becuase she was rude first about changeing my birth name .
but anyway im done with rude people say what ever you want i could care less .

Amanda (ALittleBitofFrost) I think that everyone should share their take on a book whether or not they liked it. There is no rule against not liking a book that someone else does. I JUST started reading this book and I already see what Misty is talking about. Would I call it a bad book? No. Would I put it down yet? No. I am just not that far into it yet. Will I get on Misty's case JUST because she didn't like it? Of COURSE not. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and they should share what they feel even if they feel badly about something. Bad reviews sometimes make the best reviews . If anyone is close-minded, it is definitely not Misty. Oh, and no one likes trolls. :)

message 37: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Kat, I'm just not sure where you're getting that I didn't try. I finished the damn book; that is so much more TRYING than should be given, I think.

And I even said that it started to pick up at one point, so it's not like I have been across the board negative, or that I've not given reasons (beyond the Twilight comparison) of why I didn't like the book.

Is "trying" rereading it repeatedly until I finally like it?

message 38: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat gauntt p.s. just stop putting words into my mouth .

message 39: by B (new) - added it

B Misty wrote: "Kat, I'm just not sure where you're getting that I didn't try. I finished the damn book; that is so much more TRYING than should be given, I think.

And I even said that it started to pick up at o..."

Nice way to put it, Misty... Kat, she did finish the book, so you can't put more effort into a book than that...

Amanda (ALittleBitofFrost) Kat wrote: "i do respect her opinion i just said she could try
but anyway im done with rude people say what ever you want i..."

In the review itself, it said that she gave the book a try. She was 200 pages in at one point, so I don't think you saying she isn't open-minded is quite warranted. Although, I do agree with what you said about books being special to the author. They are and whenever anyone says anything bad about them, it's going to sting a little. I just think that this review could be used for constructive criticism rather than hate.

message 41: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Well, you're kind of abusing the name! How do you feel about the name Elsepth? Lara? Jolene? You're free to use them!

message 42: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Kat (my Kat), you didn't address my favorite part: she accused you of having less Kat-ness! It's gone now, but she said she's always been called Kat, but that you are probably really a Kathrine (her spelling) or some other Kat-name.

So how's Elspeth sounding to you, less-Kat?

message 43: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Goldbeck Heeeeheee. Twilight.

message 44: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Oh dear, didn't read that one! Well, I suppose I must be less-Kat then if timeline is the only factor.

But I rather think that Katness is more about pizzaz and style. Anyone can be a Kate. Even from birth! But it takes so much more than that to make a Kat.

Now I've just checked my awesomeness barometer of Katness and I definitely have more awesomeness than the other Kat.

So, other-Kat, how's Ruth sounding to you?

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hartman If one of you is Ruth, is the other Ruthless?

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hartman Also, this is going to sound completely stupid, but the author seems to have taken some trouble to make the names Irish (Aine, Fionn, Rian), so why doesn't she give Adam a more traditional Irish name as well? There are lots of good ones that start with A. Aodha (pronounced "Ee") is my favourite, and it doesn't mean "boob" or anything. I checked.

message 47: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Don't be silly, I am always Kat!

message 48: by Misty (last edited Oct 20, 2011 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Rachel wrote: "Also, this is going to sound completely stupid, but the author seems to have taken some trouble to make the names Irish (Aine, Fionn, Rian), so why doesn't she give Adam a more traditional Irish na..."

My theory on that (and yes, I did wonder), is that she needed a familiar name that girls could easily swoon to.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm 20 pages into this book and all ready I noticed the similarity to Twilight. I came on here to see if anyone else thought the same thing. 20 pages and I'm all ready not believing the dialogue, and I'm all ready tired of Adam (who could have been named Aidan to keep with all the other Irish names.) I trust your reviews, and I probably won't be continuing this book. It's a shame.

message 50: by Misty (new) - rated it 1 star

Misty Agreed. It sure is pretty, though...

« previous 1